IMMEDIATE Full-Time Tutoring & Mentoring Position in Chicago or NYC Public Schools
SAGA Innovations is currently seeking passionate, dedicated individuals to apply for our full-time paid SAGA Fellowship and commit to completing the academic school year with us in a Chicago or New York City public high school. SAGA Fellows can start immediately and serve until the last day of school in June 2018!
NEW PATHWAY IN EDUCATION
SAGA Innovations drives the expansion of the nationally recognized innovation of high-dosage, intensive daily tutoring, where tutoring is a part of the regular school day for students as a scheduled class period.
SAGA provides middle and high school students in underserved Chicago and New York City public schools with a personal math tutor. These tutors, called SAGA Fellows, work with a cohort of 14 students every day in groups of 1 tutor: 2 students. SAGA tutoring is unique because it occurs as a stand-alone class period and is built into the regular school day as an elective course for credit.
Through our daily tutorials, SAGA students have been shown to learn 1 to 2 more years of math than their peers who are not enrolled in the program. SAGA students outperform their peers on standardized tests and in non-math courses. This significant achievement would not be possible without the individualized instruction provided by SAGA Fellows. Fellows’ and students’ work together demonstrates that it is possible to make a difference in the academic trajectory of students in high-need urban communities—it is not too late.
WHAT YOU DO
SAGA Fellows guarantee the academic success of students by focusing intently on individualizing instruction and building personal and meaningful relationships with their students.
- Fellows tutor two to three students per period and have a personal caseload of up to 14 students they work with every day.
- Fellows contact families regularly about student progress. This communication forges trust, creates relationships, and keeps parents aware of the successes and needs of their children.
- Every site has a coordinator who is responsible for observing, training, and supporting Fellows throughout the entire year. Fellows are observed weekly and must be hungry for feedback.
- Bachelor’s degree (ALL majors accepted)
- Strong basic high school math skills
- Passion for education reform and hunger for feedback
- Prior paid or volunteer experience with students
- Prior coaching, tutoring, or teaching experience
- Peace Corps and other National Service alumni encouraged to apply
APPLY ONLINE: www.sagainnovations.org
Health coverage, Living allowance, Training
Subject to criminal background check