The VISTA member will work collaboratively with a state and national AmeriCorps member to design and implement a restorative justice program, a Young Parent Program, and develop infrastructure for increase post secondary opportunities for students.
Research and launch a Young Parents Program (YPP) in Burchell High school.
Research existing young parent programs, design one for implementation in the High school, train staff to implement the program. (Ongoing)
1. Member Activity: Research existing YPPs nationally, and network with YPP program staff.
2. Member Activity: Identify public and private funding opportunities that would support a program at Burchell.
3. Member Activity: Develop a staffing structure or partner structure that will support parenting education classes, childcare, prenatal care, consumer and life skills.
4. Member Activity: Invite partners and potential funders to collaborate with Burchell in launching a YPP.
5. Member Activity: Launch the Young Parent Program and evaluate it for success.
B. Collaborate with partners and stakeholders to develop a restorative justice program or circle process to decrease recidivism, build problem solving skills among students, and increase school satisfaction.
1. Member Activity: Work closely with existing programs in Alaska to build knowledge, and template off of existing programs. Pacific High school in Sitka is an alternative school that launched a restorative justice program in the school and the district.
2. Member Activity: Build knowledge on best practices, and build a template for implementation at Burchell.
3. Member Activity: Bring together a coalition of interested teachers and administrators to learn from existing programs, and develop a framework for launch.
4. Member Activity: Launch the restorative justice / circle conferencing program in the school with students.
5. Member Activity: Evaluate the efficacy of the program and make changes as needed.
C. Develop, track and implement a college and career readiness program for students.
1. Member Activity: Research existing school college / career readiness programs, especially focusing on successful partnerships for implementation of programs. State of Alaska DOL, jobcorps, the university system and technical colleges are some likely partners.
2. Member Activity: Develop a new revenue stream through grant funding or donations or partnerships to begin a vocational / education readiness program at Burchell.
3. Member Activity: Build a program design with input from stakeholders, including students, teachers, and administrators that will meet the needs of the students / partner(s) and or funder(s).
4. Member Activity: Launch the career and/or vocational readiness program.
5. Member Activity: Develop a system for tracking participation and efficacy of the programs.
Community Need Addressed
Burchell High school in an alternative High School in Wasilla, Alaska with a student body of 316 students. Burchell High school serves the highest population of adjudicated, homeless, and economically disadvantaged students in the entire school district, in fact 66% of the school’s students qualify as economically disadvantaged.
The goal of the VISTA project is to build and implement programs to move students out of poverty including a young parent program, a restorative justice program, and a career/college readiness program. These interventions will help alleviate poverty by building life skills for low income students, and preparing them for life after high school.
Increased enrollment of the student body in post secondary education or vocational education, decreased suspensions, and increased life skills among students.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Training
Skills you will gain
Education administration, time management, public speaking, facilitation
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization