A well-run rebuilding project requires a lot of planning and skill behind the scenes to ensure that clients, volunteers, and others come together to have an impactful, uplifting project day. The AmeriCorps Project Coordinator manages rebuilding projects from start to finish, beginning with the initial visit to assess the client’s home repair needs, through the completion of the workscope and final project evaluation. They will coordinate with clients, skilled volunteers, community partners, vendors, inspectors, and staff to develop and implement sustainable and effective project logistics practices. The AmeriCorps Project Coordinator will follow up with clients after each project to ensure that the health or safety concerns of the clients were addressed according to the workscope and complete any punchlist items.
• Coordinate communication between clients, staff, House Captains, and contractors such that all parties are on the same page about work scope, timeline/timing of project elements, and expectations.
• Meet with clients to complete home assessments, develop a work scope and materials list, and collaborate with other team members to develop a project timeline (especially if coordination with volunteers or contractors is required).
• Arrange purchase and delivery of crucial project needs, including: tools and materials, personal protective equipment, dumpsters and other rented items, water and snacks. Maintain a system for warehouse inventory to allow bulk purchasing, the reuse or repurposing of tools/materials, and an efficient supply chain. Ensure routine maintenance of Rebuilding Together-owned tools between projects.
• Oversee general volunteers in completing direct hands-on repairs. Ensure that volunteers are trained in their task and have access to tools/materials, that proper safety procedures are being followed, that the work product is of good quality, and that volunteers enjoyed and feel appreciated for their service.
• Complete direct hands-on repairs, including but not limited to: rough/trim carpentry, tile work, grab bar installation, wheel chair ramp/safe entry/egress repairs, interior/exterior painting, and weatherization.
• Recruit House Captains to provide on-site leadership of volunteers completing direct hands-on repairs and other skilled-trades volunteers to complete skilled repairs and modifications. Conduct trainings to bring volunteers in leadership/specialty roles up to speed on Rebuilding Together’s model of delivering services and completing projects.
• Obtain necessary permits, inspections, and other approvals to begin work.
• At the end of each rebuilding day, evaluate productivity against the workscope and ensure quality and completion of work. Upon completion of the project, survey clients to measure short- and long-term outcomes and overall client satisfaction.
Community Need Addressed
Rebuilding Together's mission is repairing homes, revitalizing communities and rebuilding lives. The AmeriCorps Client Coordinator will help accomplish this mission by overseeing all aspects of the client experience of receiving services from Rebuilding Together.
Our vision is to create safe homes and communities for everyone.
While each affiliate is small, the impact is huge and the program is diverse. As a CapacityCorps member this translates into a well-rounded service term, in which members are given the opportunity to discover their own strengths and weakness and focus on the areas of service that interest them most. Rebuilding Together's leadership provides encouragement and resources to motivate members in improving the health and safety of houses in our community.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Travel to National AmeriCorps Orientation and MLK Week of Service in a new city each year, Mental health benefit, and you will be a part of a community of passionate, talented, and inspiring Rebuilding Together AmeriCorps members across the country
Competencies You Will Develop
Maintain open lines of communication with others
Creativity & Problem Solving
Capable of generating possible solutions
Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers
Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them
Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines
Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients