2017-18 Reading CorpsReading Assist Institute
AmeriCorps Members give a year of service and for this position will receive a living allowance of $18,000. AmeriCorps Members also receive health insurance, forbearance of student loan payments while they serve, and child care support if they qualify. After completion of your service you will receive a $5000 - $6000 education award which can be used for future educational opportunities or to pay back existing student loans.
As an RAI Reading Corps Member you will start with an extensive 7 week Orton-Gillingham based training program taught by our staff who are current in reading research and actively engaged with students. You’ll learn the basics of how children learn to read and how to explicitly teach these foundational skills to students most at risk for reading failure.
Ongoing training continues in the format of weekly learning communities which gives you the opportunity to connect with other Reading Corps Members and refine your skills as you work with your students.
We seek passionate, capable tutors willing to serve the students and the community. You do not need teaching experience, but you do need a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in any major. You must to be ready to commit to students who will see you as a tutor, as a teacher, as a mentor and as a dependable presence in their lives.
Reading Corps Members will be assigned 6 students in grades 1-2 who need intensive intervention to master the foundational skills of reading. You’ll prepare lessons and work one-on-one with each student for 45 minutes during every school day as they progress systemically through the intervention program. We partner with the Colonial School District in New Castle, DE with a high poverty student population.
• Become an integral member of the AmeriCorps Community and participate in all AmeriCorps trainings, events, and projects.
• Attend all Reading Assist training/events.
• Tutor students using the Reading Assist Intervention, full-time inside schools:
o Prepare lesson plans tailored to the individual needs of the student.
o Work with a coach to provide individualized instruction.
o Meet with coach regularly to discuss the implementation of the intervention and student progress.
o Monitor students weekly and input data.
• Communicate with coach, school liaison, and Reading Assist staff in a timely and professional manner.
• Maintain records as required including student attendance and AmeriCorps hours.
• Become an integral member of the school community.
• Help to recruit additional Reading Corps Members.
New Castle, Delaware is a centrally located on the east coast, about 30 minutes from Philadelphia, an hour from Baltimore and two hours from both New York and Washington, D.C. Downtown Wilmington is well known as a financial capital, but the city also has an active arts and entertainment scene with museums, a minor league ballpark, an IMAX movie theater, restaurants, breweries and four major stages showing everything from traveling Broadway musicals to indie folk bands – all within walking distance of downtown.
To perform the job successfully, the Reading Corps Member should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Willingness to work with children who may have behavioral challenges in addition to academic needs.
• Desire to be a lifelong learner.
• Possess patience and flexibility.
• Open to constructive feedback.
• Ability to work with others and to communicate easily with both children and adults.
• Ability to stay organized.
• Ability to follow through on tasks, ideas, etc.
• Hold a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
• Have basic word processing, email and internet skills.
• Pass all required background checks including finger print criminal background, Child Abuse Registry and National Sex Offender Registry.
• Demonstrate the ability to blend, segment, and manipulate sounds within words.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Subject to criminal background check
Professional Activites In Education & Youth
$1500 - $1500 monthly
Individual and Team Placements
- New Castle, DE