Project POWER/AmeriCorps is a program of Children First/Communities In Schools of Buncombe County. PPAC has contributed to the success of thousands of young people and families across the area, and has provided meaningful service opportunities to hundreds of AmeriCorps volunteers since 1998. In twenty-two years, PPAC has served thousands of youth with multiple activities designed to impact the high school drop-out rate in Buncombe County. Services associated with Project POWER/AmeriCorps are provided by AmeriCorps Members at community and faith-based sites, including public schools, non-profit agencies, and charter schools.
Project POWER stands for Putting Opportunity Within Everyone’s Reach. We are seeking dedicated individuals to fill 8 full-time Academic Enrichment Specialist & 4 full-time School Readiness Specialist positions to provide increased enrichment and mentoring services to vulnerable youth in western North Carolina. Each member will serve 1700 hours during a 11.5 month term. Each member will serve 1700 hours during a 11.5 month term.
Academic Success & School Readiness Members will provide one-to-one mentoring, small group tutoring/homework assistance, design and complete of service learning projects , develop trainings in conflict resolutions skills, manage volunteers, provide community outreach, and more to ensure area nonprofits and schools support at-risk youth and families in accessing basic needs services and quality education in Asheville City, Buncombe County, Madison County, and Henderson County.
Academic Success & School Readiness Members will:
- Provide specialized academic enrichment activities for at-risk youth by offering classroom assistance during the school day and after-school assistance in learning centers.
- Provide homework assistance
- Mentor children through service learning
- Provide assistance with reading and math interventions
- Recruit, train, and support volunteers who provide services along with AmeriCorps members.
- Increase at-risk youth’s ability to connect with their community through service and volunteering.
- Provide ongoing, extensive training/continuing education for AmeriCorps members who deliver the services of Project POWER.
- Plan and lead summer camp activities
• Assist in collecting and recording data regarding volunteer participation and service and families served; and
• Be available for disaster relief if needed
Partner Agencies for PPAC Member Placements include:
Children First/Communities In Schools (3 position)
Asheville Jewish Community Center (1 Pre-K position, 1 K-8 Position)
Asheville Museum of Science (1 position)
FEAST (1 position)
In-Real Life After-School (1position)
Verner Center for Early Learning (2 Pre-K positions)
YMCA-Nutrition (1 positions)
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Training
Mileage Reimbursement and SNAP Eligibility
Professional Development and Training Opportunities: Disaster Preparedness, CPR/First Aid/AED, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Workshops, Poverty Simulation, 4 National Days of Service, Grant Writing Training, Tutoring Techniques, and more.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma
High School Graduate
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 99