Project POWER/AmeriCorps is a program of Children First/Communities In Schools of Buncombe County. PPAC has contributed to the success of thousands of young people and families across the area, and has provided meaningful service opportunities to hundreds of AmeriCorps volunteers since 1998.
Project POWER stands for Putting Opportunity Within Everyone’s Reach. We are seeking dedicated individuals to fill 8 full-time Community Resource Specialist positions to increase capacity for local nonprofits and organizations combating food insecurity, domestic violence, lack of quality childhood education, and/or lack of affordable housing. Each member will serve 1700 hours during a 11.5 month term.
Capacity Building & Volunteer Management Members will provide volunteer management, community outreach, program development and implementation, resource development, trainings, and more to ensure area nonprofits and schools support families in accessing basic needs services. These components help increase the capacity of our local non-profit and school partners by providing trained, committed volunteers to provide enrichment and volunteer opportunities for community members and at-risk youth and families in Asheville City, Buncombe County, Madison County, and Henderson County.
Capacity Building & Volunteer Management will:
- Develop and implement effective recruitment and placement of compassionate and caring community volunteers;
- Assist in the development of appropriate orientation, training, supervision and appreciation of community volunteers;
- Create appropriate educational material to help families increase access to basic need services and awareness of healthy life skills;
- Network with community organizations and schools to create partnerships to reach families in-need;
- Participate in community outreach to share resources and reach new audiences;
- Develop marketing and pubic relations materials;
- Assist in the resource allocation of items to support programming, and;
- Create training manuals outlining curriculum developed by member, resource guides, and volunteer management to sustain organizational growth after AmeriCorps term is complete
• Assist in collecting and recording data regarding volunteer participation and service and families served; and
• Be available for disaster relief if needed
Partner Agencies for PPAC Member Placements include:
Children First/Communities In Schools (1 position)
Asheville Poverty Initiative (1 position)
Buncombe Partnership for Children (2 positions)
Helpmate (1 position)
Homeward Bound (1 position)
MANNA FoodBank (3 positions)
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Mileage Reimbursement and SNAP Eligibility
Professional Development and Training Opportunities: Disaster Preparedness, CPR/First Aid/AED, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Workshops, Poverty Simulation, Volunteer Management, Managing Community Partnerships, 4 National Service Days, Grant Writing Training, Tutoring Techniques, and more.
College Degree, GED/High School Diploma
High School Graduate
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 99