English Education Volunteers work as primary and secondary school English teachers. Volunteers will be paired with a local English language teacher in a co-teaching classroom setting, with a focus on integrating student-centered methodologies, improved lesson planning, and classroom management. In addition to classroom teaching, Volunteers will work with the school management to identify school needs, share resources, develop teaching materials with local teachers, and become involved in community and school-based projects. By the end of their service, Volunteers are encouraged to develop a resource toolkit to share with their school for future use. Volunteers are also encouraged to conduct clubs and/or camps in their communities focused on conversational or content-based English.
Volunteer duties often consist of the following:
• Co-teach with Kosovar teachers in the classroom;
• Prepare joint lesson plans with teacher colleagues;
• Prepare interactive teaching aids, games, classroom materials using locally available resources;
• Develop English language-centered extra-curricular activities such as English clubs, youth clubs, drama clubs, summer youth camps and other youth leadership activities that promote volunteerism;
• Co-facilitate school and/or community-based projects;
• Share specific information about American traditions and culture with students and colleagues;
• Participate in school events or events connected with Kosovo’s traditions.
Other expectations include:
• Demonstrate independence, self-initiative, flexibility, open-mindedness, and commitment to serve.
• Possess an attitude of humility and curiosity towards other cultures.
• Exhibit adaptability and a willingness to sensitively communicate even when confronting challenges.
• Demonstrate empathy and a willingness to view situations from multiple perspectives.
Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time
Subject to criminal background check