Climate change impacts have been unexpectedly evident and rapid in Mexico in terms of severe weather and varying local climate. Rural communities inside or in proximity to Natural Protected Areas (NPAs) and that are dependent on natural resources and eco-system services for survival are particularly vulnerable. Conserving such natural areas while promoting socio-economic development for the communities in and around them are priorities for the Mexican government. Peace Corps Mexico’s main Mexican host agency, the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT), has identified priority activities for Peace Corps Volunteers in Mexico: promoting environmental education and youth environmental organizations, appropriate green technologies, and biodiversity, soil, and water conservation practices.
Natural Resource Conservation Volunteers will focus on biodiversity, soil, and water conservation in rural communities and small towns with government agency partners to promote community resiliency and natural resource conservation and co-facilitate the implementation of climate change mitigation and adaptation activities.
Natural Resource Conservation Volunteer activities may include but are not limited to:
• Facilitate the sharing of knowledge in basic science of climate change.
• Equip community members with skills to monitor local weather and climate effects.
• Co-plan to address local vulnerabilities to the effects of climate change.
• Co-implement soil and water conservation practices and technologies to reduce community vulnerability to climate change effects.
• Facilitate educational activities for community members to increase appreciation and knowledge of local biodiversity.
• Train community members to monitor local biodiversity.
• Co-facilitate the improvement of habitats to protect local species."
Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time
Subject to criminal background check