The Food Security Project aims to improve the food and nutrition security of rural Nepalese families. The target communities of the project are rural smallholder farming families, particularly women and children. The project focuses on nutrition-sensitive agriculture and the key components of the framework are soil conservation/management, bio-intensive gardening, fruit tree cultivation, and nutrition education. The project framework has also outlined four anchor activities:
2. Establishment of fruit tree nurseries
3. Improved cook stoves
4. Mushroom cultivation
You will be a catalyst on a wide range of activities including, but not limited to:
• Train and coach smallholder farming families so they can establish bio-intensive gardening practices (creating and managing compost, vegetable nurseries, bio-pesticides, and household level seed production and banking) to meet the daily dietary recommendations
• Train smallholder farming families on fruit tree cultivation and guide them to establish small scale fruit tree orchards
• Train and follow up with smallholder farming families and community members to further the adoption of improved nutrition-related behaviors
• Your work will promote gender equity and will help marginalized community members to mobilize their strengths to further positive food security outcomes.
While there is strong potential for Volunteers to contribute to improving the food security situation of rural community people, working in rural communities can present certain challenges. For example, Nepali government supervisors assigned to work with Volunteers are located outside the communities where Volunteers work, and this can prevent supervisors from regularly meeting with Volunteers. To remain effective, Volunteers must demonstrate a high degree of motivation, commitment, and initiative to properly engage with relevant community stakeholders to develop and implement work plans.
Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Stipend, Training
Subject to criminal background check