Stewardship of our natural resources is becoming more critical. The Environmental Services department of Spokane County is tasked with environmental education focused on the natural and engineered water cycles and solid waste reduction and management. The environmental education and outreach assistant will have an opportunity to teach members of the community and area students the importance of these resources. In addition to direct instruction, you will create printed materials using the Adobe Creative Suite and contribute to organizational social media outlets.
1) Attend all Spokane Service Team trainings and AmeriCorps national days of service
2) Maintain accurate and timely reports and timecards
3) Publicly represent Spokane County Water Resources and Solid Waste programs
4) Set up and tear down outreach table/displays
5) Conduct indoor and outdoor educational activities for K-12
6) Give facility tours
7) Develop educational activities that meet relevant Next Generation Science Standards
8) Update lesson plans
9) Create materials such as lesson plans, brochures, flyers and posters
10) Contribute to organizational social media outlets
11) Respond to customer inquiries
12) Effective and efficient use of time and resources Spokane Service team enrollees must abide by all of the NEWESD’s policies, including maintaining a smoke and tobacco-free work environment and drug/alcohol free workplace. Sexual harassment will not be tolerated.
Community Need Addressed
This position will address environmental education for children and young adults.
This position will increase access to environmental education for children and young adults.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
CPR, First Aid, Mental Health First Aid, Motivational Interviewing
Skills you will gain
Public Speaking, Youth Development, Writing/Editing, Communications, Leadership, Teaching/Tutoring
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Improvise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment