Make a difference in Watsonville and build your professional network! Seeking full-time members to serve September 1, 2023 to July 26, 2024 to support the Removal Defense program of Catholic Charities, Diocese of Monterey.
NDMV AmeriCorps members receive a range of benefits for AmeriCorps service with NDVMA including:
- Living stipend of up to $29,000, pre-tax, distributed semi-monthly
- Health insurance
- Housing assistance (subsidized rooms for rent available in Watsonville for $400/mo)
- Student Loan Forbearance
- Food Assistance as eligible (SNAP)
- Childcare Assistance as eligible
- Segal Education Award and California For All Education Award, totaling $10,000 pre-tax awarded after the successful completion of the service year.
In this AmeriCorps position you will service collaboratively within the Catholic Charities team including Managing and Directing Attorneys, pro bono counsel, legal assistants, administrative support staff and case managers to provide client-centered, holistic representation, under the supervision of a Managing Attorney or Staff Attorney to assist in the representation of clients in removal proceedings.
Provide timely, competent products while maintaining best practices for client confidentiality.
Support primarily the affirmative asylum and removal defense caseload and will assist with legal research, drafting court filings, taking client statements, preparing evidence, and participating in client meetings. [Catholic Charities will provide the Legal Intern with relevant training when necessary]
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office product suite in where we operate our collaborative work environment, participate in meetings,
Access email, and access our electronic filing system.
Maintain electronic materials, including client’s electronic files and other confidential materials, according to office policy.
Demonstrate competency in written work product.
Attend trainings as necessary.
Provide communications with clients which are culturally sensitive and within the scope of authorized client contact
Provide timely responses to assignments.
Communicate effectively with Site Supervisor and Site Director.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Proficient in using document management systems
- Professional phone etiquette and communication skills
- Ability to transcribe legal documents accurately
- Strong proofreading skills to ensure accuracy of legal documents
As part of the NDMV AmeriCorps team you will also:
- Participate in team service projects
- Receive training on professional development topics
- Travel to a national MidYear service conference in Baltimore, MD!
Note: Prior experience as a Legal Assistant is preferred, but not required. Training will be provided for candidates who demonstrate the necessary skills and aptitude for the position.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance
Regular training, team support, bi-weekly team meetings, housing assistance (rooms available for $400/mo!), attendance at our national conference in Baltimore, MD!
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
- Bilingual/Biliteracy (English/Spanish)
- Leadership and initiative
- Project management experience, a plus
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 99