The Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD)’s opioid crisis team is seeking a National Health Corp member to educate on community trauma and coordinate volunteer activities among people in Allegheny County who have been affected by or are at high risk of being affected by the opioid overdosemcrisis. The proposed role would capture the latent energy that exists in our community and channel it into activities that will support individuals affected by the opioid crisis. The goal of the position is to help communities heal community trauma, reduce stigma and deal with the lasting effects of overdose.
The member's reponsibilities will include:
-developing educational sessions for those affected by opioid overdose, focused on healing community trauma, reducing stigma, community outreach techniques, and narcan training and overdose prevention
-recruiting, training, and coordinating volunteers to create sustainable volunteer coordination
- creating meaningful volunteer opportunities
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
The desired member for this position will be outgoing, detail-oriented, analytical, creative and organized
● The member should be able to adapt their educational approach to various audiences and calmly talk to people with many different points of view.
● Desired experience: public speaking, volunteer coordination, community outreach, curriculum development, event planning, crosscultural communication
● Desired education: Bachelor’s degree in public health, social work, public policy, psychology, education, or related fields is recommended
● Applicants with experience engaging communities of color, seniors, and/or people who have been affected by addiction are encouraged to apply
● The member must have a strong understanding of stigma, health equity and social determinants of health
Subject to criminal background check