Pittsburgh Mercy Health System
The Pittsburgh Mercy Health Center is an integrated (physical health/behavioral health) primary care center that is imbedded within a behavioral health campus, designed to address the significant disparities in health care for some of the community’s most vulnerable indi¬viduals, many of whom were already being served by the health system’s extensive behavioral health care continuum (i.e., seriously mentally ill and and/or homeless). The need is great. According to National Insti¬tute of Mental Health research, individuals with serious mental illness die on average 25 years ear¬lier than the general population.
The member will function as a key part of the multi-disciplinary primary care team, providing health navigation services to patient seen in the health center or engaged in the community. In this regard the member will connect patients with services essential to their success, filling in the gaps between other team members and supportive services- to ensure seamless continuity of care. The AmeriCorps member would also provide assistance with other patient support programs including chronic disease self-management education, nutrition education, smoking cessation, and homeless outreach.
• Brief health education to patients
• Conducting extensive and continuous research on social services
• Creating social service resource guides and lists for clients
• Counseling clients on how to access social services and benefits
• Scheduling and coordinating communication for outreach visits
• Registering patients as well as providing follow-up social service navigation
• Finding additional community resources and programs for patients
• Screen patients for food insecurity, manage documentation of persons served, and provide patients with emergency food resources, nutrition education and accessible physical activity education.
• Co-coordinate annual health fair that takes place every spring
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Member Assistance Program
Transportation reimbursement during the service day
Training and professional development opportunities
Subject to criminal background check