AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program designed to alleviate poverty in communities across the country. Metropolitan Ministries’ VISTA project, Tampa Bay Homeless Outreach, aims to generate resources that enhance and expand housing programs and supportive services for people experiencing poverty and homelessness.
This is not a salaried position; this is a year-long service position that receives a bi-weekly stipend, education award, health insurance, and other benefits.
VISTA members serving at Metropolitan Ministries will receive orientation and ongoing professional development, trauma-informed care training, free meals daily (when serving on-site), and assistance with locating affordable housing (upon request). Members will expand the operations of a non-profit organization serving 100,000 people annually with food, clothing, emergency shelter, affordable housing, childcare, and elementary school, counseling and case management, employment and adult education services, health and wellness services, and access to community resources.
Inspire Hope is a new program that aims to increase resources in Tampa Bay neighborhoods with high child poverty rates. The Inspire Hope Coordinator VISTA will conduct food security assessments, build partnerships to increase financial stability resources, and develop a Hub Site model to expand MM’s services.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Relocation allowance (if applicable), Training
- Stipend of $575.40 (gross before taxes) paid bi-weekly for term of service
- Healthcare Benefit and Telehealth
- Choice of Education Award or Stipend ($6,345 for Education Award or $1,800 for Stipend)
- Forbearance on qualified student loans and interest accrual payments while serving (taxable)
- Three meals are offered daily at no cost to the member
- Relocation and Settling In Allowance for those moving more than 50 miles for service
- Non-Competitive Eligibility Status
- Access to daily meals at no cost to member
- Childcare assistance (if qualified)
- Professional development and training opportunities
- 20 days for Personal/Sick Leave
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time
Subject to criminal background check