The AmeriCorps Systems Navigator will engage individuals experiencing homelessness and assist them in accessing health, housing and social services. Members will serve on Metropolitan Ministries' Mobile Outreach team. They will complete assessments, provide comprehensive information and referrals, distribute basic needs supplies, and participate in training and community outreach events. Systems Navigators touch the lives of some of the city's most vulnerable populations, with the goal of ending homelessness and improving lives.
• Engage individuals including youth who are experiencing homelessness in areas where they congregate.
• Administer assessments and use tools to determine needs of individuals.
• Provide individuals with information and referrals to community resources for housing, employment, health (physical, behavioral, and mental), food, transportation, etc.
• Travel to partner sites, hot spots, and hubs in the community to provide services.
• Distribute “basic needs” supplies such as clothing, hygiene supplies, food, drink, blankets, etc. to those in need.
• Assist clients in applying for public benefits and preparing SSI/SSDI applications.
• Participate in trainings, attend community meetings and workshops, and implement best practices on street outreach.
Community Need Addressed
The AmeriCorps Systems Navigator will engage individuals experiencing homelessness and assist them in accessing health, housing and social services. This position will address the housing, health, employment, and basic needs of unsheltered and sheltered homeless individuals and families.
As a result of this program, individuals and families experiencing homelessness will be connected to community resources that ultimately reduce food insecurity and lead to safe, stable housing.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
• $528 (gross before taxes) bi-weekly payroll for term of service
• Education award of $5,920 is provided upon successful completion of service
• Forbearance on qualified student loans and interest accrual payments while serving (taxable)
• Childcare assistance (if qualified)
• Health insurance – option to enroll with premium paid in full for member only
• Professional development and training opportunities
• AmeriCorps service gear (must be worn every day)
Position Requirement include:
• Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience.
• Requires understanding of poverty, a high degree of maturity, strong inter-personal skills and the ability to work and communicate with low socio-economic and diverse parents and clients in a professional and diplomatic manner.
• A non-judgmental, empathetic, caring individual with the ability to listen well and to demonstrate confidentiality and respect for clients of all ethnic, religious and socio-economic groups.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment