The Main Street Fellows AmeriCorps Program is a one-year placement provides a unique opportunity for Fellows to apply their skills and gain real-life, place-based experience helping to build local resilience. Main Street Fellows work directly with a host organization within the community on a high priority project identified by the community, while also contributing their own interests and energy to the community they live in.
As Maine contends with the impacts of COVID-19 in addition to its existing economic and community development challenges, the Main Street Fellows will be integral to developing systems and strategies for a more resilient future. A central focus will be on increasing social capital, creating more welcoming and equitable communities, and sharing new mindsets and models needed for our communities to thrive.
The Main Street Fellows AmeriCorps Program provides support for host communities by:
- Strengthening capacity for economic and community development through asset identification and development, strategic planning and implementation, social capital building.
- Assisting in local research, planning, education, and technology projects.
The five host sites are: Biddeford, Gardiner, Maine Downtown Center (statewide), Rockland, and Skowhegan.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
- Professional development through custom trainings and mentorship.
- Health benefits are provided if Fellows are not already covered.
- Childcare allowance will be provided if the Fellow is eligible.
- Upon successful completion of the Fellow’s full-term of service, they will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award educational award in the amount of $6,195 in the National Service Trust.
- Upon enrollment and acceptance into the program, the Fellow is eligible for forbearance of any qualified federal student loans. For Fellows receiving forbearance on a qualified student loan during the term of service, the National Service Trust will repay a portion or all of the interest that accrued on the loan during the term of service if the Fellow successfully completes the term of service.
- Networking with other like-minded professionals and organizations.
- Complimentary registration to MDF events.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check