Main Street Fellows are integral to developing systems and strategies for a more resilient future. A central focus is on increasing social capital, creating more welcoming and equitable communities, and sharing new mindsets and models needed for our communities to thrive.
The Main Street Fellows AmeriCorps Program provides support for host communities by:
- Strengthening capacity for economic and community development through asset identification and development, strategic planning and implementation, social capital building.
- Assisting in local research, planning, education, and technology projects.
- Learn the National Main Street approach which focuses on downtown design, economic vitality, downtown events and a strong organization.
- Plan and facilitate meetings, events, and other activities.
- Educate others in the National Main Street Approach.
- Spend time in the host community and build relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Apply project management skills to move projects forward in a way that promotes community engagement and creates sustainability at the end of the fellowship.
- Develop a system for baseline data collection related to community engagement in trainings, events and other activities.
- Develop a cultural attitude survey if not already in existence.
- Identify community assets and conduct strategic planning and implementation in order to strengthen capacity for economic and community development.
- Participate in local research, planning, education, and technology projects.
- Prepare materials for meetings, events, and trainings.
- Assist with communications and promotions of meetings, events, and trainings.
- Set personal and professional goals, reflect, and evaluate progress on those goals.
- Increase volunteer recruitment, retention, and training.
- Complete reports and timesheets in a timely manner.
- Other functions to be determined by the host site.
Community Need Addressed
As Maine downtowns contend with the impacts of COVID-19, the Main Street Fellows will be integral to developing systems and strategies for a more resilient future.
A central focus will be on increasing social capital, creating more welcoming and equitable communities, and sharing new mindsets and models needed for our communities to thrive.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Stipend, Training
- Professional development through custom trainings and mentorship.
- Health benefits are provided if Fellows are not already covered.
- Childcare allowance will be provided if the Fellow is eligible.
- Upon successful completion of the Fellow’s full-term of service, they will receive a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award educational award in the amount of $6,195 in the National Service Trust.
- Upon enrollment and acceptance into the program, the Fellow is eligible for forbearance of any qualified federal student loans. For Fellows receiving forbearance on a qualified student loan during the term of service, the National Service Trust will repay a portion or all of the interest that accrued on the loan during the term of service if the Fellow successfully completes the term of service.
- Networking with other like-minded professionals and organizations.
- Complimentary registration to MDF events.
National Main Street Four Point Approach to community and economic development
Skills you will gain
Volunteer recruitment and retention
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented
Accepts responsibility, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment