At Explore! Community School we always begin with our mission: to foster the independence, critical thinking, and creativity of a diverse community of learners so they are fully prepared to become confident, conscientious leaders who change the world.
In accordance with the Explore! Community School mission and values, the AmeriCorps Education Assistant will model our core values by monitoring students and supporting systems implementation during non-instructional times of the day (such as lunch/recess/arrival/dismissal). S/he will also provide administrative support to staff and families.
Check out this video to learn more about our school and culture!
We are excited to offer the opportunity to serve as an AmeriCorps member in our cutting edge, project-based learning community. The Education Assistant has four primary responsibilities:
1. Provide proactive and responsive support for students during academic time(70%).
2. Collaborate to plan and execute opportunities to support experiential learning for students in the library, garden, or social and emotional setting (15%).
3. Joyful, responsive engagement with students, families, and community members through the support of community events (5%).
4. Provide operational and logistical support to the Explore! Community School staff (10%).
• Commitment to Explore! Community School’s mission, values, educational model, and celebration of the strengths of diversity.
• Provide for the care, safety and security of students through the support of daily academic and social and emotional lessons.
• Support the development of curiosity in students through the planning and implementation of library, garden, or social and emotional lessons.
• Maintain close relationships and interactions with students, parents and families, through direct one-on-one, email, and telephone communications.
Assist students and faculty with recreational and classroom activities.
Community Need Addressed
Lack of educational resources, lack of creative project-based educational programming in low income communities
Academic improvement, improvement in literacy and numeracy, social and emotional growth of students in a safe, creative environment
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Health insurance reimbursed up to $160/month. Cell phone bill reimbursed up to $25/month.
We emphasize professional development and training opportunities for our service year members.
We offer reduced housing rates in Nashville for service year members.
Skills you will gain
Relationship building, time management, classroom management, program management, problem solving
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment