The first 8 weeks of training will cover essential hard and soft skills of field team leadership. Members will complete conservation projects as part of a team of fellow Team Leader trainees. The following topics will be covered:
Chainsaw safety training, Wilderness First Aid, sustainable trail building, camp life, diversity and inclusivity training, project management, job readiness training, and other technical trail building topics related to your assigned projects.
A successful member of Team Leader Training will assume the key responsibilities of a MCC Field Team Leader. This role provides direct leadership, mentorship, and training for a MCC field team during the field seasons. You can expect to work on physically challenging conservation projects in any kind of weather. MCC Team Leaders perform many roles and are the key to our program’s success. The position is multi-faceted and demanding but has the opportunity for enormous rewards.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
• Team Leaders are 300-hour AmeriCorps members during the 8-week training period and will receive an education award of $1,311.11 upon successful completion.
AmeriCorps members may also be eligible for student loan deferment and childcare reimbursement.
• Leaders will receive a weekly living allowance of $250 (less taxes) during training.
• Living allowances range from $440-475 per week upon successful completion of training.
• Other benefits include health insurance, pro-deals, Maine State Park Pass, paid training, and a wide range of networking opportunities.
GED/High School Diploma
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Must be at least 21 years old
• Must be a US Citizen or permanent resident
• Must agree to criminal history checks
• Previous outdoor leadership or project management experience
• Committed to MCC through the duration of the term of service
• Driver’s license and clean driving record
• Previous trail construction experience
• Backcountry living experience
• Experience with GPS/GIS
• Experience with power tools and hand tools including chainsaws, and rigging equipment
Subject to criminal background check