The Public Justice Center works with people and communities to confront the laws, practices, and institutions that cause injustice, poverty, and discrimination. We advocate in the courts, legislatures, and government agencies, educate the public, and build coalitions, all to advance our mission of pursuing systemic change to build a just society. Current focus areas include tenants, workers, health care, education, public benefits, juvenile justice, and creating a right to counsel in civil cases.
Our Access to Health and Public Benefits (Health Rights) Project advocates to protect and expand eligibility for healthcare coverage and access to appropriate, affordable, effective and culturally competent healthcare. We seek to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in health outcomes and access to benefits. The Volunteer will be a member of the Health Rights Project team conducting research, advocacy, and community outreach for the following advocacy priorities:
• Eliminating maternal mortality and disparities in maternal health outcomes among birthing individuals of color by expanding access to doula care and other maternal health programs;
• Expanding dental care for low-income adults;
• Eliminating unjust barriers to Hepatitis C medication access for Medicaid beneficiaries;
• Ensuring healthcare providers and state agencies provide language services for people with Limited English Proficiency;
• Reforming Maryland hospital medical debt collection practices to protect the health, housing and financial stability of low-income patients;
• Monitoring changes to the healthcare and public benefits landscape on the federal and state level; and
• Protecting Medical Assistance and the Maryland Children’s Health Insurance Program
Health coverage, Housing, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
LVC provides program days monthly focusing on justice issues. Spirituality and Community mentors also provide ongoing guidance.
High School Graduate
Prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time
Subject to criminal background check
21 - 99