• Participates in preparation and breakdown of detention facility visits; and conducts detention facility visits throughout Virginia and Maryland (at least one per week), for the provision of Know-Your-Rights presentations and intake/follow-up
• Participates in intake review, additional case research, and preparing cases for pro bono placement
• Follows-up after intakes to evaluate eligibility for relief from removal, including legal research, securing criminal records, and obtaining additional information from family members
• Ensure the inputting and accuracy of data and case information into shared databases in a timely fashion
• Take part in stakeholder relationship activities, including in-person and telephonic meetings with community groups, governmental bodies and representatives, and other legal service providers
• Help with the transfer of clients to other internal programs (e.g., NQRP, Lab, Safe Cities)
* Particiaptes in the LVC program
LVC program provides housing, health insurance, a food stipend, transportation to and from work, and discernment opportunties. Volunteers explore spirituality while working to end systemic racism.
Community Need Addressed
A legal assistant in the Detained Adult Program focuses on (i) the coordination and execution of visits to detention centers for the purpose of conducting know your rights presentations and intakes with detained adults, (ii) working with clients throughout the course of their removal proceedings, including assisting with paperwork and case preparation, and (iii) supporting the program’s provision of services as a whole.
To provide much needed assiatance for the Detained Adult Program for CAIR.
Health coverage, Housing, Stipend, Training
Skills you will gain
Professional development in legal aid non-profit.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Maintain open lines of communication with others
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment