We are hiring English Early Literacy tutors for the 2022-2023 service term with a start date of November 1st, 2022!
Literacy First is an AmeriCorps tutoring program that focuses on early literacy in Austin, Texas. Literacy First tutors provide one-to-one tutoring to ensure all children are reading at or above grade level by third grade. We use an explicit, research-based curriculum to address critical reading skills. All training and mentorship will be provided by our supervisors and staff, who are literacy experts.
• Half-Time Member
o 36 hours a week, campus schedule will be Monday through Friday from 7:30-2:30
o Total of 900 AmeriCorps service hours November 1st, 2022 through May 26th, 2023
o Monthly living allowance stipend of $1,600 by the 1st business day of each month.
o Segal Education Award will be $3,247.50 at the end of service term
This position will require attendance at Pre-Service Training which will be from November 1st – TBD (usually 6-8 days) from 8:00 AM – 2:30 PM (times may alter slightly as we finalize the agenda).
• Conduct 20-30-minute tutoring sessions with K-2nd grade students at an Austin elementary school campus using Literacy First curriculum
• Expert training in literacy intervention content and delivery (no experience necessary, all training provided!)
• One-on-one support from your supervisor weekly throughout the program.
• Optional professional development activities such as committee participation and community events.
• Access to an employee assistance program that includes free short-term counseling, financial/legal services, referrals to resources, etc.
• University of Texas discounts including free public transportation
• Networking with community partners and non-profits through regular volunteering opportunities.
• Professional development activities to prepare you for life after AmeriCorps.
• Opportunity to return to service for a second year as a Leader (mentor) and participate in our Leadership Academy (with pay increase!).
• Opportunity to return to service for a second year and participate in our alternative teacher certification partnership through Region 13.
Apply here: https://tinyurl.com/LiteracyFirstApp2022-23
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Members receive a well-rounded service experience. They are given the opportunity to have a meaningful year of service in Title I schools, commit to civic engagement through community service projects, and the option to participate in professional development activities such as blog writing, social media, curriculum writing, and recruitment opportunities.
Members interested in a career in education are also given the option to serve a second year with Literacy First and pursue alternative teaching certification through our partnership with Region 13. Region 13 waives the application and registration fee for second-year members along with additional incentives and grants for bilingual members.
Credential or Certification
Subject to criminal background check
18 - 99