Kickstart a nonprofit career with our AmeriCorps VISTA program, the Volunteer Corps. As a member of the L.A. Works' Volunteer Corps, you'll be placed at one of our nonprofit partner organizations for one calendar year and tasked with enhancing the organization’s volunteer program. For this recruitment term we have two amazing host sites: REDF and L.A. Works!
AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) is a national service program dedicated to ending poverty by building the capacity of nonprofit organizations and public agencies. VISTA’s mission is to strengthen and supplement efforts in low-income communities to eliminate and alleviate poverty by engaging volunteers from all walks of life, all geographical areas, and all age groups in a year of full-time service. VISTA aims to build capacity in nonprofit organizations and public agencies to help them more effectively generate the commitment of private sector resources, to encourage volunteer service at the local level, and empower individuals and communities to raise their standards of living.
You will help transform your host site's programs through capacity building activities such as:
- Thoroughly assessing host site's programs and identifying areas of improvement;
- Conducting targeted recruitment efforts online and offline to improve volunteer matches and increasing the number of volunteers placed at host site;
- Other capacity building activities such as writing grants, creating a curriculum, setting up partnerships in the community, etc.
- Contributing to monthly and annual grant reporting as well as serving as a Project Leader at L.A. Works special days of service.
Throughout the course of the year, you will grow professionally within an innovative, highly respected L.A.-based organization. L.A. Works provides ongoing trainings through monthly meetings and leadership opportunities. Other benefits include:
- A bi-weekly living allowance of $697.20* (for a full 14 days of service) *subject to change
- Upon successful completion of one year of service, a $5,775 education award (or equal to the Pell Grant amount) that can be put towards student loans or future educational expenses, or an end-of-service cash stipend of $1,800.
- Student loan forbearance, childcare (if eligible), and healthcare benefits.
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Bachelor's Degree
- Must be a U.S. citizen, national, or legal permanent resident alien of the U.S.
- Must be okay with some evening and weekend commitments
- Prior community service experience preferred
- Commitment and understanding of the AmeriCorps principles and values including the one year of service;
- Ability to adapt to the living allowance and other lifestyle challenges common for AmeriCorps members;
- A track record of delivering results while juggling competing priorities under intense time pressure;
- Professional demeanor in person, in writing, and on the phone
- Passion for nonprofit work and belief in the value of community service
For more information visit us at: laworks.com/volunteercorps
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Student loan forbearance
• Living Allowance | AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance that is distributed bi-weekly.
• Segal Education Award | Upon successful completion of one year of service, AmeriCorps members earn a $5,815 education award that can be put towards student loans or future educational expenses.
• Loan Forbearance | AmeriCorps members may be eligible to have their loans temporarily postponed while they are serving.
• Childcare | AmeriCorps VISTA members may qualify for childcare assistance during their terms of service.
• Health Benefits | All Americorps VISTA members are eligible to participate in the AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefits Program at no cost.
•Professional Development | Grow professionally within an innovative, highly respected organization through a year of service. L.A. Works provides ongoing trainings through monthly meetings and leadership opportunities.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check