The purpose of the Community Volunteer Organizer is to recruit, place, supervise, and provide supervision to community volunteers. The volunteer coordination team collaborates with each other and the leadership in La Puente’s programs to develop volunteer opportunities. The organizer is a liaison between probation officers, DHS case managers, La Puente programs, and community volunteers. This position is also responsible for interviewing and screening volunteers to ensure the safety and well being of the volunteer as well as La Puente staff, volunteers, AmeriCorps members, and clients. In screening volunteers, the organizer will assess the skill of a volunteer with the needs of La Puente’s programs, and will take into account the reason for volunteering (mandated, club, etc). The member will not conduct any background checks.
Community Volunteer Organizing Responsibilities:
- Interview and screen all community volunteers to ensure the safety and well being of the volunteer as well as La Puente staff, volunteers, AmeriCorps members, and clients.
- Act as a liaison between volunteers and the leadership they are responsible to
- Be an advocate and guidance figure for community volunteers
- Coordinate, develop, and expand volunteer opportunities in concert with program leaders and supervisors
- Host volunteer recruitment events that will illustrate the heart of La Puente and inspire others to action
- Recruit and meet with people interested in volunteering at La Puente
-Explain the different volunteer opportunities to those interested in volunteering
- Match volunteers’ skills and interests with specific programs and coordinators
- Create specific positions and responsibilities for volunteers (ex: managing & organizing all book donations)
- Create and organize a volunteer appreciation program
- Maintain all community volunteer applications, waivers, time sheets (if applicable), and contact with probation officers and case managers
- Collaborate with other volunteer organizers and program leaders to determine and develop appropriate and safe projects for community volunteers
- Confront and guide community volunteers through behavioral issues
- Go to community groups (civic groups, college clubs, churches, etc...) and give presentations on the heart of La Puente and opportunities for volunteering
- Coordinate volunteers for the La Puente Thanksgiving meal at the shelter. This includes volunteers the day of as well as volunteers who will be cooking food to drop off, or other preparatory service
- Coordinate volunteers for the La Puente community Christmas party. This includes, volunteers for collecting, wrapping, and distributing gifts, providing entertainment the day of, and serving and preparing food for the event.
Volunteer Workgroup Responsibilities:
- Recruit, coordinate, plan, and facilitate transportation and lodging for all volunteer workgroups
-Contact workgroup leaders to discuss all the details of their trip prior to their arrival
- Work with the other Volunteer Coordinators and site supervisors to schedule activities and projects for the volunteer workgroups
- Secure needed supplies and resources for workgroup projects
- Give the volunteer workgroups a tour of all the La Puente programs
- Guide the volunteer workgroups with their projects during their time here
- Lead workgroups in experiential learning activities (for example the homeless simulation) to increase their knowledge of rural homelessness, hunger, and poverty
- Facilitate discussion with the workgroups about their experience here
- Write and distribute thank you cards for all work groups
- Expand La Puente’s ability to use volunteers, both by creating new opportunities and by growing existing projects.
Community Need Addressed
Without this position, Volunteer Coordination would not be able to recruit and organize volunteers, or host work groups.
The Community Volunteer Organizer’s main function is to create opportunities for locals and groups from across the country to engage in La Puente’s services and impact on the.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment