The main purpose of the Shelter Housing Advocate is to serve as a case manager for the shelter guests, connecting them with local community resources to fill both their immediate and future needs.
VEGI serves predominantly outdoors in a garden, with daily transporting between local schools and the program office. Often times, there will be opportunity to be indoors with the students. This position is high in physicality in regards to maintaining a garden space as a classroom and overseeing groups of elementary-aged students.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
• A living allowance in the amount of up to $13,728.
• The member is eligible for health benefits and child care benefits (if Applicable) in compliance with AmeriCorps policy.
• The program will provide FICA (Social Security and Medicare), and worker’s compensation.
• Upon Successful completion of the member’s term of service, the member will receive an education award from the National Service Trust in the amount of $6,095.
• The member is eligible for the forbearance of most federally-guaranteed student loans and some private loans.
• If the member has received forbearance on a qualified student loan during the term of service, the National Service Trust will repay a portion or all of the interest that accrued on the loan during the term of service.
• The member’s service term can be counted towards The Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). This is a program for federal student loan borrowers who work in “public service” jobs, including jobs in government or 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations. After 10 years of eligible employment and qualifying loan payments the remaining debt on federal student loans will be forgiven
• The member is allowed 10 vacation days and 6 sick days per 1 year term.
• The opportunity to gain applicable experience, training and certifications that are resume quality.
• The opportunity to strengthen or learn new life skills (relationship building, conflict management, budget
Prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time
Uniforms provided and required
Subject to criminal background check
21 - 35