AmeriCorps VISTA is a federally funded program geared toward college graduates who want to make a difference.
Participation in AmeriCorps VISTA is a way to help those in need through a non-profit organization. After one year growing and learning as a VISTA member, you will be ready for a robust employment opportunity or your graduate school education [see below for details on AmeriCorps’ Segal Education Award, valued at $5,920.00]
Minimum Requirements: College degree (Associates or Bachelor’s) and strong technology skills
Jewish Family & Children’s Services of Northern New Jersey (JFCS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Teaneck, NJ with additional locations in Fair Lawn and Wayne. We aim to serve the entire community through a variety of services, including Mental Health Services, Senior Care, Aid & Advocacy, Club Ed, Re-Launch Career Services, and two Food Pantries.
The Food Pantries at JFCS are community lifelines that provide food and household items to struggling families in Bergen, Passaic, and Hudson counties. Food Pantry clients are able to take much needed food from our pantries and are also provided guidance on how to become self-sustainable with the help of a Food Pantry Coordinator.
As an AmeriCorps VISTA, you will have a unique opportunity to help with the expansion of the Food Pantry. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Help to create and facilitate systems and guidelines to provide a seamless flow of service for pantry clients
• Assess and build relationships with donors, corporate partners, inventory management, and clients to guarantee service to those that are hungry in the community
• Help clients in achieving long-term sustainability by researching best practices
• Assist with the transport and storage of food deliveries to the pantry
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Stipend, Training
Becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA has the following benefits:
• Living Allowance: Receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance – in our region that will be $20,640 per year.
• Relocation Allowance: If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you will receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
• Healthcare Benefit: Choose between healthcare reimbursement or a healthcare plan - dental & vision included.
• Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE): a unique hiring path which more easily enables federal agencies to hire you after this one year VISTA experience.
• Child Care: You may be eligible to receive a child care benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
• End of Service Benefit: If you decide to continue your education upon completion of your VISTA service, you will be eligible for AmeriCorps’ Segal Education Award (valued at $5,920.00) for tuition and expenses. If you are not going on to more schooling, you are then eligible for a Cash Stipend of $1,800.
• View full listing of AmeriCorps VISTA benefits: vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
Associates Degree (AA)
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check