AmeriCorps VISTA is a federally funded program geared toward college graduates who want to make a difference.
Participation in AmeriCorps VISTA is a way to help those in need through a non-profit organization. After one year growing and learning as a VISTA member, you will be ready for a robust employment opportunity or your graduate school education [see below for details on AmeriCorps’ Segal Education Award, valued at $5,920.00]
Minimum Requirements: College degree (Associates or Bachelor’s) and strong technology skills
Jewish Family & Children’s Services of Northern New Jersey (JFCS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization headquartered in Teaneck, NJ with additional locations in Fair Lawn and Wayne. We aim to serve the entire community through a variety of services, including Mental Health Services, Senior Care, Aid & Advocacy, Food Pantries (two), Re-Launch Career Services, and Club Ed.
To showcase our vital services to potential clients, donors, and volunteers, the Marketing Department creates impactful marketing campaigns that reach those in the community and beyond. This department manages the branding of the organization, the planning of fundraisers and events, and building community awareness of JFCS.
As an AmeriCorps VISTA, you will be working closely with the Marketing Director to develop a greater community awareness of JFCS and work toward an increase in clients, donors, and volunteers.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Create the marketing and development materials for the agency
• Assist in the planning and implementation of fundraisers, including our annual Wheels for Meals event
• Post information and updates about JFCS on our official social media accounts
• Research marketing and fundraising methods to develop fun and fresh fundraisers
• Help develop relationships with local synagogues and other organizations
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Relocation allowance (if applicable), Stipend, Student loan forbearance
Becoming an AmeriCorps VISTA has the following benefits:
• Living Allowance: Receive a modest bi-weekly living allowance – in our region that will be $20,640 per year.
• Relocation Allowance: If you move 50+ miles from your home to a new community, you will receive relocation travel assistance and a settling-in allowance.
• Healthcare Benefit: Choose between healthcare reimbursement or a healthcare plan - dental & vision included.
• Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE): a unique hiring path which more easily enables federal agencies to hire you after this one year VISTA experience.
• Child Care: You may be eligible to receive a child care benefit if you have children under the age of 13.
• End of Service Benefit: If you decide to continue your education upon completion of your VISTA service, you will be eligible for AmeriCorps’ Segal Education Award (valued at $5,920.00) for tuition and expenses. If you are not going on to more schooling, you are then eligible for a Cash Stipend of $1,800.
• View full listing of AmeriCorps VISTA benefits: vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service
Associates Degree (AA)
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check