Background: Iowa Legal Aid seeks applicants to fill part-time AmeriCorps member positions for its regional offices in Cedar Rapids, Council Bluffs, Davenport, Des Moines, Dubuque, Iowa City, Mason City, Ottumwa, Sioux City and Waterloo, subject to funding availability. Iowa Legal Aid provides free, high quality legal education, advice and representation to low-income and elderly Iowans with civil legal problems that most dramatically affect poor and vulnerable Iowans. The Justice Aid position is for a term of 44 weeks.
Responsibilities: Individual AmeriCorps members will participate in various tasks that can include: helping seniors, veterans, immigrants, people with disabilities and other low-income Iowans get free legal help; enhancing the unified client intake system; increasing outreach to underserved Iowans; advancing self-help legal education; recruiting and managing volunteers; connecting low-income Iowans to financial supports; enhancing Iowa Legal Aid’s website; performing marketing and public relations activities.
Qualifications: We seek applicants who communicate well with individuals and groups, both verbally and in writing, and are committed to helping make equal access to justice a reality for all Iowans. Applicants should also have some or all of the following:
1. Background working with people who are low-income, elderly, victims of domestic/sexual abuse, from other cultural and/or ethnic backgrounds, and/or have disabilities;
2. Bi-lingual skills (e.g. Spanish, Bosnian, Arabic, French, Chinese, Vietnamese, or ASL);
3. Ability to use computers to organize information, update website, and/or perform research;
4. College or community college;
5. Background in journalism, marketing, teaching, social work, law, and/or volunteer recruitment/management.
Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
Bi-lingual skills, background in social work, law, or paralegal studies or work is desired, but not required.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check