The Youth Coordinator will assist the Youth Program Manager to plan, coordinate, organize and implement wrap around services to students in Pierce County schools to help students catch up and maintain academic success and achievements necessary to graduate from high school. Youth Coordinator will assist the Youth Program Manager to plan, coordinate, organize and implement overall agency goals for Youth Program. Coordinator will visit and assist students in their perspective schools – with their academic status and assist them with proper subject matters and graduation process as needed according to individual cases.
- To plan, coordinate, organize and implement wrap around services to students of Pierce County schools to help students catch up and maintain academic success and achievements necessary to graduate from high school.
- Assist Youth Program Manager to plan, coordinate, organize and implement overall agency goals for Youth Program.
- To visit and assist students in their perspective schools – with their academic status and assist them with proper subject matters and graduation process as needed according to individual cases.
- To attend all required meetings for the Youth Program as assigned on an as needed basis.
- To represent APCC in Youth Program activities as assigned on an as needed basis.
- To assist Program Manager to plan, develop and implement activities and events for Youth Program.
- To help recruit and refer resources as needed to address needs of individual students.
- To recruit and organize students as needed for youth activities and events for the Youth Program.
- To recruit and organize volunteers for the Youth Program.
- To report to work as required and approved by the Program Manager/Executive Director.
- Responsible to develop and submit program reports as required on a timely manner such as weekly, monthly, and annual reports.
- Responsible to develop and maintain official files on each student case and update them daily as needed for case management process. Each student must be registered in the program before a case is opened. All documents and daily logs must be in the files.
- Responsible to keep all student case files locked daily and maintained for up to six (6) years after case closed.
- And all other required duties by the Program Manager and/or Executive Director
- Participate in regular professional development, team-building, and service activities
Community Need Addressed
Young people often come into contact with the criminal justice system as a result of normal adolescent behavior, such as taking risks and pushing boundaries. Due to institutional racism and implicit bias, this happens more often for Black and Brown youth through the over-policing of communities of color, racial profiling, and disproportionate minority sentencing. The isolation and stigma surrounding criminal justice system involvement create additional barriers preventing youth and young adults from achieving their full potential. Protective factors, such as participation in positive youth development programs and connection to caring adults, can create safe and supportive environments for youth that prevent and reduce contact with the criminal justice system.
The Imagine Justice Project is a collaborative Pierce County effort to strengthen youth development and advance equitable, community-centered justice systems. One of the primary strategies of the Imagine Justice program is to leverage AmeriCorps volunteers to build the capacity of local organizations to provide culturally responsive, trauma-informed positive youth development programs, and services.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
- Access to an emergency fund to address financial emergencies that may affect completion of
- Mileage for work related travel is reimbursed
Skills and knowledge related to positive youth development
Skills you will gain
Trauma-informed care, adverse childhood experiences, Youth Program Quality (YPQ) methods, implicit bias, systemic racism, social-emotional learning
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment