Service and Program Summary: The AmeriCorps CVR support person serves as a temporary (8-week) position to assist the Cedar Valley Readers (CVR) Campaign for Grade Level Reading (CGLR) program. The CVR campaign is a local collaborative effort to help more young children to read well by the end of third grade. CVR is part of the national campaign for Grade Level reading initiative. Operation Threshold serves as the fiscal agent for CVR. The Campaign funds and/or manages 10 different community projects. Service detail listed below:
1. Help develop a logic model and CGRL report for the campaign to quantify the impact of the numerous CVRprojects within the community.
2. Analyze logic model(s) and help with assessment of CVR’s funded projects.
3. Help with the implementation of the “Booking Brighter Futures” and “Free Little Library Stewards” projects.
4. Help identify and provide guidance to the Free Little Libraries Stewards within the community to help strengthen
5. Help gather data from the “Y Believe Summer Literacy Academy”
6. Participate in opportunities to further improve CVR’s effectiveness and reach.
7. Understand and communicate important campaign messages as needed.
8. Complete, maintain, and submit required reports/information as required in an accurate and timely manner.
9. Understand collective impact, and assist CVR’s efforts to achieve those results.
10. Establish and maintain positive relationships with partners and the general community.
11. Adhere to all agency policies with regard to volunteer responsibilities and safety.
12. Ensure confidentiality is strictly maintained at all times.
Skill/Experience: A passion to help improve children’s reading. Ability to construct and analyze logic models. Ability to think and serve independently as well as within a team setting. Must be able to
evaluate, maintain records and prepare reports, communicate effectively, both verbally and in
writing, plan, organize, and prioritize work is required. Physical & Mental Demands: Sit for long periods of time. Frequent/Occasional lifting (up to 25 pounds), driving, walking, talking, bending, reaching, etc.…. Occasional deadline pressures.
Working Conditions: Office environment. Some in-town and occasional out of town travel. Some evenings and weekends may be necessary.
Equipment Used: Telephone, computer, copier, scanner, fax, postage meter and calculator.
Other: Must satisfactorily pass background check including child abuse check. Must have valid driver’s license, safe & reliable transportation and proof of insurance.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Living allowance, Training
High School Graduate
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check