Want to make an impact AND get valuable on-site job experience? Come create community-wide change with us!
As a member with us you can expect to get direct, hands-on experience with a widely-known, reputable non-profit, grow your professional, leadership, and personal skills, and be a part of a dedicated team that eagerly awaits to support and encourage your unique contributions. At Lancaster Lebanon Habitat we have the great pleasure of working directly with potential and future homeowners, volunteers and community members in the pursuit of affordable housing!
This AmeriCorps member will help recruit, train, schedule and recognize Habitat volunteers while growing the volunteer base and advancing individual and group partnerships in the community. As a volunteer services coordinator, you will assist with all aspects of volunteer management, including relationship-building, orientations, database maintenance, volunteer tracking and communication. You will market and outreach within the community to recruit new volunteers and develop new opportunities and events for volunteers to engage with the mission of Habitat for Humanity.
This AmeriCorps member is essential to the construction of our homes - organizing and managing our daily workforce (100s of volunteers every month); and as such, will support the construction, rehabilitation and repair of 20 homes in both Lancaster and Lebanon Counties.
Responsibilities of the position:
• Assist with volunteer management including orientations, maintenance of database, volunteer tracking and follow up for opportunities in construction, office, ReStore, family services, special events, and committees.
• Work with construction staff to fulfill daily tasks needed to ensure successful volunteer experience – signing volunteers in, providing orientation and safety briefing, helping put away tools with volunteers at the end of the day, and ordering necessary volunteer supplies.
• Develop written volunteer position or assignment descriptions, as needed.
• Develop and implement effective recruitment messaging.
• Visit the build site to observe and gain an understanding of tasks in which volunteers are asked to participate, occasionally building alongside volunteers.
• Schedule and communicate affiliate needs with individual volunteers and volunteer groups (ex. crew leaders, campus chapters, businesses and groups, etc.).
• Assist Volunteer Manager in responding to calls and emails inquiring about volunteer opportunities in a timely manner and help with schedule coordination and follow-up communication.
• Improve volunteer resource database through updated contact information for volunteers who can assist with specific needs.
• Maintain communication with volunteers through a monthly volunteer e-newsletter and by updating volunteer-related areas of the affiliate website.
• Develop, plan and execute volunteer recognition program including National Volunteer Week appreciation activities, annual volunteer banquet and volunteer recognition tools and milestones. Devise and implement volunteer experience survey, analyzing the results that follow.
• Attend community outreach programs to promote volunteer opportunities, including events targeted at the military, veteran and senior communities. Secure and manage affiliate presence at volunteer fairs.
• Help build and manage Volunteer Action Team and Lunch Sponsor committees.
• Support new volunteer recruitment strategies in expanded service area of Lancaster and Lebanon counties, including regularly updating our messaging about our volunteer needs and creating volunteer event registration and website content.
• Developing new partnerships with community businesses and organizations to provide in-kind donations for Collegiate Challenge and weeklong college/church groups, volunteer picnic and other volunteer services.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
In addition to receiving a monthly living allowance and an educational award of $6,095 (upon completion of service term), our members may also have the opportunity to live in reduced or rent-free housing right in the heart of Lancaster city! Lancaster city is full of amazing restaurants and cafes, farm-fresh goods, art galleries, shops, entertainment and tons of live events - and about 2 hours from multiple major cities (Philadelphia, Baltimore, NYC and D.C.)! So it's an exciting place to spend a year!
Our members also receive a monthly gas card for all position-related travel expenses. Opportunities for professional and personal development as well as position-specific trainings are available throughout the year.
Members will also participate in a weeklong national conference called Build-a-Thon, where members will build and serve alongside all of Habitat's 2019-2020 AmeriCorps members (ie: 100s of fellow AmeriCorps members).
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Valid driver’s license and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements.
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel.
• Experience meeting and speaking with new groups and individuals.
• Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity International and AmeriCorps.
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong research skills.
• Detail oriented and highly organized.
• Experience working with volunteers, teaching or group facilitation.
• Experience working as a member of a larger team.
• A second language is highly desirable, with preferred language being Spanish. .
• Public speaking experience.
• Knowledge of community development practices.
• Project management experience.
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check