The Volunteer Services Coordinator will help ensure that Houston Habitat for Humanity (HHFH) fulfills its mission to build homes, communities and hope and that HHFH volunteers have the best experience possible by working with staff and volunteers to coordinate and facilitate building and other activities and represent HHFH to the public
We partner with families to open doors together – whether building a house, repairing a roof, or leveraging our capabilities to provide a hand up to a neighborhood block. Our affiliate is performing at our highest level to date with over 6000 volunteers, 40 homes built or rehabilitated, and most importantly, 150 partner families served. Volunteers provide the hearts, hands and voices to complete our ambitious build schedule.
The Volunteer Services Coordinator will be performing three main functions. First s/he will ensure there are enough volunteers and supervision from the Crew Leaders for each build day. Second, s/he will help to grow the volunteer department. The member will collect detailed information on who is and who is not volunteering. This helps the affiliate to apply for additional grants as well as helps us to build upon what we do well and reach out to who is not volunteering. Third s/he will be one of the front line faces to advance our partnerships with youth and youth groups.
Responsibilities of the position:
• Assist with volunteer management including orientations, maintenance of database, volunteer tracking, and follow up for opportunities in construction, office, ReStore*, deconstruction, family services, special events, and with other needs.
• Work with Senior Volunteer Manager and construction staff to fulfill daily tasks needed to ensure successful volunteer build day: signing volunteers in, providing orientation and safety briefing, helping to put away tools with volunteers at end of day, ordering necessary volunteer supplies.
• Develop written volunteer position or assignment descriptions, as needed.
• Develop and implement effective recruitment messaging.
• Visit the build site to observe and gain an understanding of tasks in which volunteers are asked to participate. Occasionally participate in building alongside volunteers.
• Schedule and communicate affiliate needs with all assigned individual volunteers and volunteer groups
• Assist in coordination of campus chapter groups and non-construction youth group projects.
• Improve “volunteer resource database” with contact info for volunteers who can assist with certain needs.
• Attend community outreach programs to promote volunteer opportunities, including events targeted at the military and veteran communities and senior community. Secure and manage affiliate presence at volunteer fairs.
• *Note activities involving the ReStore and fundraising are limited to no more than 10% of a member’s total time. Please consult with your HFHI program specialist if you have questions about allowable activities.
INTERESTED CANDIDATES PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME WITH AMERICORPS IN THE SUBJECT LINE TO: email@example.com
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance
Many benefits vary by service location. However all Habitat AmeriCorps members will have the opportunity to travel to 2 national events, National Service Leadership Conference and the Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon. Habitat AmeriCorps members also receive a variety of position specific trainings including CPR/First Aid, Lockton Safety Courses, and many more.
GED/High School Diploma
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements. Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Detail oriented and highly organized
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Public speaking experience
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Experience working as a member of a team
• Project management experience
• A second language is highly desirable, with preferred second language being Spanish.
Subject to criminal background check