HABITAT FOR HUMANITY GREATER SAN FRANCISCO
Volunteer Services Coordinator – AmeriCorps National Position
An 11 month commitment starting September 2017
Tuesday - Saturday / 9:00AM – 5:30 PM with occasional evenings/Sundays
# Positions: 1
Reports to: Volunteer Programs Manager
Location: San Francisco, CA, with travel to the Peninsula and Marin County
The volunteers, donors and homeowners who join with us at Greater San Francisco’s Habitat for Humanity share a belief: hard work and success go hand in hand. Every day, we do what Habitat does best around the globe. But we do it right here in a very Bay Area way, by coming up with inventive solutions to our area’s expensive real estate challenges. Because when we invest in our neighbor’s quest to become a homeowner, it benefits the whole community.
As a Volunteer Services Coordinator, you will be on the front lines of service by helping the volunteers at our affiliate. Your primary responsibility will be to coordinate volunteer management efforts, including but not limited to: assisting with on-site orientations, maintaining and updating the volunteer database, maintaining communications with volunteers though a monthly e-Newsletter, recruiting and scheduling volunteers, continually working on volunteer retention and recognition, or other new initiatives at our affiliate. Additionally, you will assist in the coordination of volunteer groups, such as campus chapters and non-construction youth groups. You will oftentimes attend community outreach programs to promote volunteer opportunities, and manage affiliate presence at volunteer fairs. Volunteers are a huge help in the weekly operation of our site, and we need someone like you to be the helping hand and voice to our volunteers.
HABITAT GREATER SAN FRANCISCO VALUES
Successful Greater San Francisco Habitat team members share the following characteristics:
• A “go above and beyond” attitude.
• You thrive on constructive feedback and have a high level of integrity.
• You do what you say you will do.
• You are a creative problem solver that works across teams.
• You love results and hate excuses.
• Assist with volunteer management including recruitment, maintenance of database, volunteer tracking, and follow up for opportunities in construction, office, ReStore*, home and community facility repairs, special events, and with other needs.
• Develop and implement effective recruitment messaging.
• Visit the build site to observe and gain an understanding of tasks in which volunteers are asked to participate.
• Occasionally participate in building alongside volunteers.
• Lead small groups of volunteers, ensuring that they are well-employed while on the work sites.
• Assist in coordination of student volunteer groups and non-construction youth group projects.
• Plan and execute an Affinity Build Day.
• Implement volunteer experience survey and analyze results.
• Continue to develop existing and new partnerships with community businesses and organizations to provide in-kind donations for collegiate challenge, volunteer picnic and other volunteer services.
• Attend community outreach programs and represent Habitat Greater San Francisco at volunteer recruitment/community engagement events.
• Secure and manage affiliate presence at volunteer fairs.
• Process volunteer waivers, send thank you emails, maintain volunteer time sheets, and manage volunteers in data entry
RECOMMENDED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps.
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
• Detail oriented and highly organized.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Public speaking experience
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Experience working as a member of a team.
• Project management experience
• Experience, knowledge or interest in affordable housing
• Experience, knowledge or interest in social justice and social service programs
• Customer-service oriented
• Strong organizational and communication skills, over the phone and in person.
• Experience working with databases, preferred
• Ability to sit at a desk and computer for extended periods of time
• Ability to complete the reporting and timesheet requirements of the AmeriCorps program in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner
This is an AmeriCorps National position. To learn more about AmeriCorps, please visit www.americorps.gov
Habitat Greater San Francisco National AmeriCorps commit to 11 months of full-time service and receive the following benefits:
• AmeriCorps National living allowance of $12,630 (paid over the full 46.5 weeks of full-time service)
• A Segal AmeriCorps Education Award $5,815 (upon successful completion of service - Lifetime maximum of 2.
• In addition, Habitat Greater San Francisco provides a $600 monthly rental stipend to supplement living costs
• Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service (if eligible)
• Healthcare benefits while in service – please note that this plan does not meet the minimal essential coverage of the Affordable Care Act
• Childcare assistance while in service (if eligible)
• 10 personal/sick leave days
• Approximately 10 holidays
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) - offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources.
• Habitat GSF provides a $150 stipend for Professional Development
• $100 stipend for work gear and attire
Learn more about Habitat Greater San Francisco at www.habitatgsf.org. This position is based in San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin counties.
To apply: Email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Volunteer Services Coordinator – Your Last Name” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. The position is an 11 month commitment that begins in July 2017. Candidates will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
Please note that acceptance into the program is subject to official position approval, a background check prior to start and applicant approval from Habitat for Humanity International.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs), Relocation allowance (if applicable), Student loan forbearance
Many benefits vary by service location. However all Habitat AmeriCorps members will have the opportunity to travel to 2 national events, National Service Leadership Conference and the Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon. Habitat AmeriCorps members also receive a variety of position specific trainings including CPR/First Aid, Lockton Safety Courses, and many more.