The volunteer services coordinator helps recruit, train, schedule and recognize volunteers while growing the volunteer base and advancing individual and group partnerships. Market within the community to recruit new volunteers. Develop new events and opportunities for volunteers to engage with the mission of Habitat for Humanity.
• Typically serve Tuesday – Saturday to support work on the build site.
• Recruit and schedule volunteers for construction, office, ReStore, deconstruction, family services and special events opportunities.
• Assist with all aspects of volunteer management including orientations, maintenance of database, volunteer tracking and follow-up.
• Work with construction staff to ensure successful volunteer build days – signing volunteers in, providing orientation and safety briefings, helping put away tools with volunteers at the end of the day and ordering necessary volunteer supplies.
• Develop and/or revise volunteer recruitment, management and recognition tools.
Community Need Addressed
Habitat for Humanity's vision is a world where everyone has a decent place to live. We believe affordable housing plays a critical role in strong, stable communities. Since our founding in 1976, Habitat has helped more than 29 million people build or improve the place they call home.
In fiscal year 2019, Habitat helped more than 7 million people, and an additional 2.3 million gained the potential to improve their housing conditions through training and advocacy. In addition, more than 1.4 million volunteers helped build, advocate and raise awareness about the global need for shelter.
For one year, you can get paid to help build sustainable solutions in the community, gain valuable hands on experience and prepare for your future.
With Habitat AmeriCorps, you can serve in your community or in several locations through the United States. Serve on an active build site or at a local Habitat office assisting homeowner families, volunteers and staff members. Help strengthen communities through a year of service with Habitat AmeriCorps.
Increase number of volunteers recruited and participating in activities to support Habitat's work and mission.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
• All Habitat AmeriCorps members have the opportunity to attend Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon, our annual blitz weeklong blitz build.
• Habitat AmeriCorps members receive a variety of position-specific trainings, including CPR and First Aid and Lockton Safety Courses.
• Host sites may choose to offer additional benefits to AmeriCorps members, such as free or reduced-cost housing, grocery gift cards, transportation vouchers, payments made to rental agencies or landlords, etc.
Skills you will gain
Following a year of service, members will develop skills in leadership, such as public speaking, time management, project planning and management, and increased knowledge of service and affordable housing.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment