Serve as an AmeriCorps member in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity has been building affordable housing for 35 years. Our AmeriCorps members play an important role in providing leadership on our project sites, engaging volunteers to become champions for our mission, and creating new tools and systems to build capacity.
Family services development VISTA members research and implement plans for homeowner family recruitment, tracking, scheduling and support with the goal of improving the overall experience for participants. As a family services development VISTA, you might design a user-friendly application process or create a comprehensive homeowner education curriculum that supports and prepares families for homeownership. In addition, you may develop a plan to engage the veteran and military community to educate them about Habitat’s mission and the various housing solutions provided. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required to build relationships with local non-profit organization, employers, community centers and faith communities to recruit a diverse base of qualified applicants.
Living allowance, Training
• Range of $12,311 - $24,119 annually depending on county (most at low end of range)
• Education award of $6,095 or end-of-service stipend of $1,800
• Possible forbearance of qualified student loans
• Healthcare allowance available to cover out-of-pocket costs or eligibility for enrollment in a health benefit plan
• Personal and sick days — approximately 10 days total
• Workers’ compensation
• Child care benefits, if you qualify
• Member Assistance Program, which offers services such as counseling and financial planning resources
Asheville Area Habitat for Humanity provides a housing subsidy of $250/month, a clothing allowance of $150 and a hand tool and gear allowance.
Subject to criminal background check