The compelling need for our community is more affordable, decent houses and repair of existing houses. This member position will help build and maintain the pipeline of family partners by assisting with leading the efforts to recruit qualified families for both family and home repair opportunities; educate the family partners about program requirements and the family process; and monitor and track the completion of sweat equity hours.
Family Services Coordinators will assist by creating forms and plans that will help ensure the success of a family post closing. Family Coordinators will work with eight communities throughout the Houston area that are Habitat home owners.
Responsibilities of the position:
• Recruit partner family applicants for traditional family opportunities or critical home repair (CHR).
• Coordinate existing programs to attract qualified families as needed. This may include: placing posters and fliers at businesses, churches, and local employers, and communicating and meeting with various social service agencies. Assist Family Services staff in responding to calls and emails inquiring about family in a timely manner, and promptly mail information packets to prospective applicants.
• Conduct applicant orientations and assist families in the completion of the housing application.
• Work with the Family Selection committee to select partner families for a variety of housing products including traditional Habitat homes, critical home repair, and weatherization projects. Tasks may include preparing financial eligibility calculations and summaries for the committee on each applicant. Assist Family Services staff in making all follow-up and clarification calls on family applications.
• Attend all Family information meetings. Prepare monthly summaries on partner family’s progress for committee.
• Track family hours and send monthly updates and letters.
• Work with the Family Services Committee and staff to provide educational opportunities to partner families. Plan and carry out family education courses. Recruit appropriate teachers/speakers as needed.
• Become familiar with family files to be able to answer day-to-day questions.
• Assist Family Services and Construction staff with collecting needed family information to prepare for closings.
• Work with family partners to plan their house dedication.
• AmeriCorps Family Services Coordinator will work on resource guides for each of our communities, and ensuring family partner participation. Performance will be measured by the success of these items
INTERESTED CANDIDATES PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR RESUME WITH AMERICORPS IN THE SUBJECT LINE TO: email@example.com
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance
Many benefits vary by service location. However all Habitat AmeriCorps members will have the opportunity to travel to 2 national events, National Service Leadership Conference and the Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon. Habitat AmeriCorps members also receive a variety of position specific trainings including CPR/First Aid, Lockton Safety Courses, and many more.
GED/High School Diploma
High School Graduate
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements.
• Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Detail oriented and highly organized
• Strong research skills
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Experience working as a member of a team
• A second language is highly desirable, with preferred languages being Spanish
• Public speaking experience
• Knowledge of community development practices
• Experience and skills with social services, volunteer coordinating, and/or construction are preferred
• About 30% of this position requires outreach in the community, including visiting buildings and homes that may have stairs.
• Ability to work in various weather conditions
Subject to criminal background check