AmeriCorps members are essential in helping our affiliate’s construction program build to capacity. Members serving in this role will be part of the team that will give the necessary boost to significantly increase the number of families our affiliate is able to serve through our Home Repairs (HR) and new construction projects. Our affiliate takes an average of 4 months to build new homes and 3-5 weeks for HR depending on how extensive the repairs are.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Training
Many benefits vary by service location. However all Habitat AmeriCorps members will have the opportunity to travel to 2 national events, National Service Leadership Conference and the Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon. Habitat AmeriCorps members also receive a variety of position specific trainings including CPR/First Aid, Lockton Safety Courses, and many more.
The Sacramento affiliate offers a 3 bedroom house to AmeriCorps members that may be available for $175 a month with a $150 security deposit. The house is conveniently located to the Downtown and Mid-town areas which are accessible by walking or biking. Weekly food and hygiene products are donated by Costco and made available first to our AmeriCorp.
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements
Public transportation options are limited in our community so access to a personal vehicle is required to get to and from service, as well as any required meetings. Approved service-related mileage (beyond commuting to and from service) will be reimbursed per the affiliate’s policy.
Member will be required to drive company trucks in order to transport tools and materials to and from the work sites, as needed.
Physical requirements for this position
• Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
• Ability to dig trenches for utilities and post holes for fencing
Subject to criminal background check