JOB TITLE: AmeriCorps Construction Crew Leader
REPORTS TO: SVP of Community Development
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles (Habitat LA) is seeking qualified candidates to be part of the AmeriCorps team that will give the necessary boost to significantly increase the number of families our affiliate is able to serve through our Critical Home Repair (CHR), Home Preservation, Rehab, and new construction projects.
Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles has been an active affiliate of Habitat for Humanity International for more than 20 years. By providing affordable housing, home repairs, skilled construction training, financial education, and volunteer opportunities the organization has transformed millions of lives, helped stabilize communities and fostered economic vitality in the region. On average, the affiliate builds and renovates 100 homes in the Los Angeles region, ranking it among the largest affiliates nationwide.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Assist with hands on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping. Projects may include new and gut rehab homes, as well as Home Preservation, Critical Home Repair (CHR) and weatherization projects.
• Lead small groups of volunteers, ensuring that they are well-employed while on the work sites.
• Use volunteer management techniques to facilitate positive experiences for volunteers and partner families working on site.
• Collaborate with construction staff to identify skilled/enthusiastic volunteers and cultivate their involvement in Habitat’s work (i.e. encourage them to consider being trained as regular site leaders and/or returning volunteers).
• Maintain site safety through modeling of safety practices and guidelines, volunteer education, and site monitoring. Attend safety trainings with our construction staff.
• Provide on-site orientations and safety talks to groups of volunteers and family partners.
• Help with materials management on site and at the affiliate warehouse and storage trailers. Pick up and organize materials needed for projects.
• Set up and cleanup project sites.
• Maintain site logs for each project completed in order for supervisor to assess progress and next steps.
• Participate in regular planning and debriefing meetings as needed.
• On occasion, member may participate in larger community projects such as lot clean ups, community gardens, etc.
• Attend and participate in select affiliate events; responsibilities may include set up, cleanup, and engaging with attendees and informing them about the AmeriCorps program, our affiliate’s mission and NR programming, and how to become a volunteer and/or family partner.
SUMMARY OF JOB QUALIFICATIONS
• Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Ability to work with a diverse group of people
• Experience working as a member of a team
• Previous experience as a construction AmeriCorps member or with a residential homebuilder PREFERRED/HELPFUL
• Experience with power tools preferred
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience desirable
• Basic experience with Microsoft Word/Excel preferred
• Knowledge of community development practices preferred
• A second language is highly desirable, with preferred languages being Spanish
This is full-time position for 1 Service year in AmeriCorps. Work schedule is Tuesday through Saturday, 7:30AM – 4:30PM with some evening and weekends. Public transportation options are limited in our community so access to a personal vehicle is required to get to and from service, as well as any required meetings. Approved service-related mileage (beyond commuting to and from service) will be reimbursed per the affiliate’s policy.
Education award upon successful completion of service, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Habitat LA provides a housing stipend of $500/month, paid directly to the members' landlord.
Habitat AmeriCorps members will have the opportunity to travel to 2 national events, National Service Leadership Conference and the Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon. Habitat AmeriCorps members also receive a variety of position specific trainings including CPR/First Aid, Lockton Safety Courses, and many more.
Subject to criminal background check