- Assist with hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, site prep, framing, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping. Projects may include new and gut rehab homes.
- Lead small groups of volunteers, ensuring that they are well-employed while on the work sites.
- Use volunteer management techniques to facilitate positive experiences for volunteers and partner families working on site.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Housing, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
All Habitat AmeriCorps members will have the opportunity to travel to a national event, the Habitat AmeriCorps Build-a-Thon. Habitat AmeriCorps members also receive a variety of position-specific training including CPR/First Aid, Lockton Safety Courses, and many more.
In addition, Beaches Habitat offers housing to members only in a shared apartment. Covered expenses include rent, utilities (water, electricity, sewer), basic furniture and cooking supplies, smart TV, and shared washer and dryer.
Construction Crew Leaders also will receive basic hand tools, personal protective equipment, and Beaches HFH/AmeriCorps shirts to wear on site.
Learn more at http://www.beacheshabitat.org/americorps
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements
- Previous experience as a construction AmeriCorps member or with a residential homebuilder
- Experience with power tools
- Ability to drive large pick-up trucks preferred (or willingness to learn)
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Experience working as a member of a team
- Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
- Basic experience with Microsoft Word/Excel
- Knowledge of community development practices
- A second language is highly desirable, with preferred language being Spanish or French
English, French, Spanish
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check