Join us as we improve access to fresh, locally grown food in an up-and-coming Appalachian city. Grow Ohio Valley is looking for passionate candidates to help promote sustainable urban farming, school gardening, proper nutrition, and equitable distribution of fresh foods in our community. Play a key role at our farming sites, including an urban apple orchard, high tunnel greenhouses, school gardens, and more. Become a part of our AmeriCorps team, together we can grow a healthier future!
Candidates should have demonstrated interest and/or experience working in organic vegetable production, a strong desire to reduce poverty and improve social justice, a passion for direct service, and readiness to work with their hands. These positions will be primarily responsible for planting, cultivating and harvesting organically grown fruits and vegetables. The positions will also rotate shifts in other programs, thus gaining complete exposure to all aspects of GOV’s efforts to improve regional food systems. These positions will fill key roles to enhance and utilize bio-intensive urban farming sites in Wheeling, WV. As senior farm hands, the positions will be involved in all aspects of the annual agricultural cycle, from enhancing farming sites over the winter, to field preparation, sowing seeds, planting transplants, monitoring plant health, managing pests, and harvesting food, as well as improving and documenting production processes and data collection. Hand-eye coordination and physical endurance are essential for this position, as is facility working with tools. Candidates should be prepared to strongly contribute to operations of a multi-site agricultural endeavor in an urban environment.
● Coordinating greenhouse seeding, watering, production, and end of season farm clean-up
● Conducting transplant and harvest schedules, and monitoring soil fertility, pest control, supplies inventories, and equipment maintenance
● Constructing and maintaining irrigation and deer fencing
● Planting cover crops as part of farm crop rotations
● Coordinating care of chickens and coop maintenance
● Scheduling and organizing educational and community outreach activities with educational coordinators
● Collecting, organizing, and analyzing data for Grow Ohio Valley’s operations reporting
● Be familiar with operation of farm tools and vehicles
● Write and speak competently and professionally
● Use a computer, including the Windows suite of programs, email, and social media
● Operate a motor vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
● A living allowance up to $12,530 for a full year of service ● An educational award of $5,775 to help you pay for college ● Possible forbearance of qualified student loans ● Vacation and personal days ● Childcare benefits for qualified individuals ● Delicious locally grown food ● Low-cost housing available
Subject to criminal background check