Positions with MLC include the following tasks:
• Member coordinates a mentoring program, matching students with mentors and overseeing the operation of the program throughout their term. The Check & Connect program model will be utilized to support this program. Member may also organize mentee/mentor events, coordinate student assessments, communicate with student parents and teachers, etc.
• Member coordinates a mentoring program focused on academic support for students. The member will oversee the operation and matching of students throughout the term in addition to organizing activities such as career/job fairs, college info nights, SAT prep classes, etc.
• Member coordinates partnerships within the community for increased student involvement. This may be with nonprofits or community leaders to enhance students’ involvement, internship opportunities, community collaborations, and resources. Member will coordinate community projects, compile resources, network, and create programming around community partnerships.
• Member coordinates school-wide service learning curriculum and/or projects.
• Member coordinates programming to engage parents into the academic work of the student through increased relationship building, communication, and involvement of parents.
• Serve as a mentor for a portfolio of at-risk students
• Develop and maintain contact with students’ parents, teachers, counselors and/or referral partners
• Develop relationships and resources within the community
• Conduct regular check-in meetings with students in line with the Check & Connect Program Model
• Connect students with intensive services such as mentoring, academic support, service learning, and/or community engagement projects
• Create a structure for extended learning opportunities and expanded career awareness
• Act as a positive role model for youth
• Participate in Member Leadership Activities as part of Goodwill AmeriCorps Programs
• Participate in a variety of service projects within the community
• Serve alongside and recruit volunteers for various projects
• Coordinate and facilitate meetings
• Participate in staff meetings
• Attend required weekly meetings with supervisor
• Coordinate projects with team members
Community Need Addressed
This program increases academic engagement among English Language Learners through Check & Connect mentoring program (a research-based intervention for academically disengaged students). In addition, AmeriCorps members leverage volunteers to engage in Check & Connect mentoring and in-school/afterschool School Skills Support, Aspirations support, Enrichment, and Community Engagement programs.
• 195 students participating in ELL Program
• 145 students demonstrating improved academic engagement.
• Increase the number of effective volunteer management practices in use.
• Complete individual skill development plans.
• Increase knowledge and skills to perform high quality service that has a positive impact on the beneficiaries of the service.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Competencies You Will Develop
Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions
Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process
Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served