EMBARC is in search of a Volunteer/Communications Manager who will be responsible for supporting its Refugee RISE program. This yearlong AmeriCorps position will be responsible for community education, volunteer management and extensive support, development of volunteer service opportunities, and communications (including social media). Refugee RISE AmeriCorps supports refugee communities across Iowa through culturally and linguistically appropriate direct service, education, and individual case management.
• Help cultivate trusting relationships with community organizations serving refugees, as well as the community as a whole.
• Assist with promoting Refugee RISE and AmeriCorps through social media, public speaking, and public relations activities to engage Iowans as volunteers and supporters of the Refugee RISE AmeriCorps program.
• Represent the Refugee RISE AmeriCorps Program, EMBARC, and host sites in a professional manner.
• Plan and lead Service Day activities that engage refugees and the broader community.
• Help develop culturally and linguistically appropriate workshops and informational resources for national service volunteers to help them accomplish personal development goals.
• Provide required service data for quarterly progress reports and share success stories with supervisor and Program Director.
• Adhere to professional standards of confidentiality and ethical conduct at all times.
• Accurately complete and submit paperwork and monthly time logs.
Volunteer Recruitment and Support
• Help recruit, support, and coordinate volunteers to serve as mentors for both national service volunteers and refugees.
• Assist with ongoing communication to volunteers and national service volunteers, and provide extensive skill-building opportunities.
• Work with organizations and other AmeriCorps program in Iowa to build a network of support for national service volunteers and/or refugee clients.
• Attend meetings, consultation, and reviews with immediate supervisor.
• Attend required agency and AmeriCorps meetings and trainings.
• Complete AmeriCorps service hours and site-specific responsibilities within ten to twelve months of the member’s enrollment date.
• Develop and work toward personal and professional learning goals, attend at least three learning opportunities, and meet regularly with assigned mentor.
Community Need Addressed
Member recruits and supports refugee-community members and native English speaking volunteers to serve alongside RISE AmeriCorps members
60 volunteers from refugee communities and 30 native English-speaking volunteers will be engaged as volunteers.
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Skills you will gain
CPR, project management, public speaking, social media
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment