EMBARC is searching for service-minded individuals to serve diverse refugee communities in Iowa through our RefugeeRISE AmeriCorps program (www.refugeeriseiowa.org) for an 11 month period. You will work with community agencies to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate education, referrals, outreach, and direct services to refugee families in need. Topics cover health education and workforce development. We serve in 8 cities in Iowa at 12 different nonprofits. RefugeeRISE is a team program that leverages the different skills our members bring to our program. Full time from September 9, 2019 to August 8, 2020. Read about our members' service at our blog, RiseNShine! www.refugeeriseiowa.org/risenshine
Locations: Des Moines, Waterloo, Marshalltown, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Columbus Junction, Storm Lake, Sioux City, Ottumwa
Apply: Please apply online at www.refugeeRISEiowa.org/openpositions
• Experience training or teaching adults, preferably across racial, cultural, class, and gender differences.
• Outgoing, personable, professional, respectful, and positive attitude.
• Ability to communicate effectively in English. Ability to communicate in a language of one of Iowa’s refugee communities is a plus
• Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends.
• Ability to use a computer for e-mail communication, online reporting
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
Paid professional development opportunities with options for mentoring from professionals.
Receive monthly living allowance. ($14400 total)
Receive education award at the successful completion of the term of service. ($6095)
Delay payment on qualified student loans during term of service.
Free Health care coverage (Health, Vision, and Dental), plus access to mental health services
Childcare assistance (if state income eligibility criteria are met)
Post-service job referrals through networking with community and state partners.
GED/High School Diploma
Less than High School Completed
Desired Certifications or Qualifications
• Must be U.S. citizen or U.S. national or a lawful permanent resident of the U.S.
• Must pass a three point background check.
• Ideal languages: Swahili, French, Lingala, Arabic, Karen, Karenni, Chin dialects, Burmese, and more
English, Arabic, French, Thai
Permits attendance at school during off hours
Subject to criminal background check