EMBARC is searching for service-minded individuals to serve diverse refugee communities in Iowa through our Refugee RISE AmeriCorps program. You will work with community agencies to provide culturally and linguistically appropriate direct service, education, and outreach to refugee families in need. As an AmeriCorps service member, you will also be responsible for recruiting and training new volunteers from within the refugee community as well as the broader community.
Outreach and Assessment
• Cultivate trusting relationships with community organizations serving refugees.
• Gather information on refugee economic barriers and unmet community needs through focus groups, one-on-one meetings, and public awareness activities.
• Promote AmeriCorps and participate in planned Service Day Activities.
• Represent the Refugee RISE AmeriCorps Program, EMBARC, and host site in a professional manner.
• Participate in developing culturally and linguistically appropriate workshops and informational resources for refugees learning about services in the community.
• Provide refugees with appropriate connections to social services, skill development, and community resources through small group workshops and one-on-one advising.
• Provide required service data for quarterly progress reports and share success stories with supervisor and Program Director.
• Adhere to professional standards of confidentiality and ethical conduct at all times.
• Accurately complete and submit paperwork and monthly time logs.
Volunteer Recruitment and Support
• Recruit, support, and coordinate refugee and non-refugee volunteers.
• Provide ongoing communication with volunteers and provide skill-building opportunities.
• Attend meetings, consultation, and reviews with immediate supervisor.
• Attend required agency and AmeriCorps meetings and trainings.
• Complete AmeriCorps service hours and site-specific responsibilities within ten to twelve months of the member’s enrollment date.
• Develop and work toward personal and professional learning goals, attend at least three learning opportunities, and meet regularly with assigned mentor.
Community Need Addressed
EMBARC’s Refugee RISE AmeriCorps program serves refugee families in need from any country by removing barriers while building leadership.
• 75% of stakeholder service providers report increase services/resources to refugees
• 80% of 400 refugee individuals report increased understanding of and access to available resources and services for immediate and long-term needs
• 75% of 300 refugees report improved attitude, behavior, and/or knowledge from skill development services/classes
• RISE members report increase skills and knowledge in a chosen area
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
Program will help member with GED, citizenship, or other goals related to economic self-sufficiency.
Skills you will gain
CPR, office skills, additional English skills for bilingual members, networking opportunties
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Turn taking, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment