This position is a partnership between Confluence Environmental Center, AmeriCorps Program and Washington County Solid Waste & Recycling, and will build on the successes of previous AmeriCorps Members. Member will focus on:
• Encouraging Washington County community members to waste less food at home. As part of the Eat Smart, Waste Less campaign, the Member will educate community members about wasted food prevention through a series of tactics including, but not limited to: event tabling at farmers markets and other community events, door-to-door canvassing in multifamily communities, movie viewing events and presentations to community groups. (40%)
• Encouraging community members to prevent waste and recycle at home. The Member will contact and offer technical assistance to multifamily property managers and provide assistance to multifamily communities upon request. Assistance will include delivering educational materials; providing direct education through community presentations, door-to-door outreach and event tabling. The Member will recruit Master Recycler volunteers to help with outreach and education efforts. (40%)
• Participating in Confluence led leadership development activities which include: Leadership Development Program, Change Agent Project, team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities (20%).
• • Develop and implement an outreach and assistance strategy for multifamily property managers.
• Develop relationships with program partners such as property managers and community groups.
• Coordinate events such as movie-viewings, discussion groups, or other waste-related education activities.
• Provide direct public information to community members through presentations and door-to-door outreach and at events.
• Identify and communicate material, information, and resource needs required to perform duties as outlined in the project.
• Manage materials inventory related to outreach and assistance including, but not limited to, brochures, bags and signs.
• Prepare and distribute education materials related to projects.
• Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers for waste reduction outreach activities.
• Collect and enter data related to outreach and education projects in Word, Excel, hard copy forms, or an
• Complete and submit all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner; abide by program policies; attend and complete all training and service requirements.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Recycling and Composting
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
$100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understanding and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment