This position is a partnership between Confluence Environmental Center, AmeriCorps Program, Sandy River Watershed Council, and Multnomah County. The Community Engagement Specialist will build on the success of the previous AmeriCorps Member, to engage populations in the lower Sandy River watershed by utilizing creative outreach strategies to inform local populations about road culvert replacement projects and stormwater retrofit efforts to improve passage and water quality for endangered salmon living in Beaver Creek, the lowermost tributary to the Sandy River, in Gresham.
The Community Engagement Specialist will:
• Lead stewardship events such as invasive plant and trash removal (10%),
• Make educational presentations to students and community members (10%),
• Represent SRWC at public outreach events (10%),
• Coordinate and promote events (20%), and
• Utilize creative engagement methods to reach diverse communities (30%).
• The Member will participate in Confluence led leadership development activities which include: Leadership Development Program, Change Agent Project, team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities (20%).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (to include, but not limited to):
• • Collaborate with staff to continue outreach that targets communities in the lower Sandy River watershed, including Beaver Creek, communities of color, and low-income communities.
• Identify and suggest ways for the SRWC to be more inclusive, diverse, and equitable.
• Make brief presentations to MHCC classes and community groups.
• Lead stewardship events such as removing invasive species and trash pickups.
• Represent SRWC and the Beaver Creek Conservation Partners at tabling outreach events.
• Develop social media content for Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat, in keeping with SRWC protocols.
• Coordinate stewardship activities.
• Present information at SRWC Board Meetings and Beaver Creek Conservation Partner meetings.
• Complete and submit all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner; abide by program policies; attend and complete all training and service requirements.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
$100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understanding and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment