This position is a partnership between Confluence Environmental Center, AmeriCorps Program and the Johnson Creek Watershed Council. The Outreach and Riparian Specialist will build on the successes of previous AmeriCorps Members in the following ways:
• Restoration Projects: (35%)
o Design, implement, and maintain riparian restoration projects along Johnson Creek and tributaries under the supervision of the JCWC Riparian Program Manager.
o Conduct outreach and recruitment to creekside landowners to increase restoration efforts.
o Support workforce development and volunteer training efforts.
• Outreach Projects: (35%)
o Build partnerships with culturally specific organizations and underrepresented community groups.
o Assist with coordination of volunteer restoration events and educational activities with school groups
o Create and distribute outreach materials for upcoming events
o Assist with volunteer recruitment, communication, and volunteer database tracking.
• Community Science: (10%)
o Assist with wildlife survey projects and help plan and host educational community events
• Confluence Member Development: (20%)
o Participate in Confluence led leadership development activities which include: Leadership Development Program, Change Agent Project, team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (to include, but not limited to):
• Serve with the JCWC Volunteer Coordinator to plan, recruit for, and coordinate volunteer planting and maintenance events at sites identified for volunteer stewardship, occasionally in the evenings or on weekends. This will include building partnerships with culturally specific organizations and underrepresented communities.
• Design, implement, and maintain riparian reforestation projects along Johnson Creek and tributaries, collaborating with partners (Portland Parks and Recreation, City of Gresham, Wisdom of the Elders, AmeriCorps NCCC) as appropriate; conduct initial site assessments and develop planting, monitoring, and weed management plans; order plants and supplies; track and report results and expenditures. Conduct project monitoring and reporting at completed and ongoing restoration projects – e.g. photomonitoring, vegetation cover transects, and update project descriptions on the Conservation Registry, etc.
• Conduct outreach and recruit private landowners for restoration projects and be a technical resource and offer trainings for landowners with a goal of increasing landowner participation in long-term maintenance. This could include organizing landowner tours / restoration showcases on private property to encourage peer-to-peer sharing – occasionally in the evenings or on weekends.
• Manage the tool room, help maintain a clean office, attend meetings, respond to emails, etc.
• Complete and submit all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner; abide by program policies; attend and complete all training and service requirements.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
$100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understanding and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment