The Green Street Steward Program works in close collaboration with community partners and residents for clean rivers, healthy watersheds and livable, sustainable communities through promoting and stewarding Green Street facilities (i.e., bioswales). In acknowledgement of the many benefits to human and watershed health provided by Green Streets and other green infrastructure, Stormwater Stewards pursue equity in service delivery. The Stormwater Outreach Coordinator position is a partnership between Confluence Environmental Center, AmeriCorps Program and Bureau of Environmental Services, Green Street Steward Program.
The Stormwater Outreach Coordinator will build on the successes of previous AmeriCorps Members by inviting community members to participate in the care of Green Streets through community education and watershed stewardship activities. Green Streets function optimally for watershed health with knowledgeable residents to keep a watchful eye and assist in Green Street care.
The Member will connect with community groups, organizations, and businesses to cultivate partnerships for potential projects and stewardship activities (25%); develop and deliver training and stewardship activities in low-income, racially diverse communities in close cooperation with partners (25%); recruit and train volunteers and manage data (20%); and develop and organize materials to foster Green Street stewardship (10%). This position will serve closely with the Tree Equity Coordinator to provide outreach, education, and programming in low-income, racially diverse communities in Portland. The Member will participate in Confluence led leadership development activities which include: Leadership Development Program, Change Agent Project, team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities (20%).
• Recruit community volunteers to become Green Street Stewards and support their stewardship activities.
• Develop, plan, and execute Green Street stewardship projects in close partnership with community organizations and city bureaus and programs with a focus on opportunities in low-income, racially diverse communities.
• Establish innovative methods and projects to foster Green Street stewardship and strengthen as well as develop relationships with communities representing Portland’s underserved populations.
• Serve closely with the city and its partners and act as liaison between the city and interested neighborhoods, community and business groups, and individuals.
• Develop, coordinate, and lead stormwater education activities with low-income, racially diverse community high schools, and immigrant communities
• Support community members in neighborhood beautification and care of green streets.
• Manage Art of Stormwater exhibit.
• Conduct outreach in low-income, racially diverse communities with Green Streets to gauge interest and concerns.
• Complete and submit all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner; abide by program policies; attend and complete all training and service requirements.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Stipend, Student loan forbearance, Training
• $100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understand and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment