This position is a partnership between Confluence Environmental Center, AmeriCorps Program and the City of Gresham, and will build on the successes of previous AmeriCorps Members by:
A. Contacting and offering technical assistance to property managers to inform them of their responsibilities; and providing assistance to multifamily communities (apartments) upon request or identification of need. Assistance will include serving with community organizations, delivering educational materials; providing direct education through community presentations, bag delivery outreach and community events. The Member will recruit Master Recycler’s and other volunteers to help with outreach and education efforts. Opportunity to shadow and serve with Green Schools and Green Business Teams and events. (60%)
B. Tabling at community events such as Farmers Markets, street fairs and other events. Tabling with education materials including recycling, food waste prevention and other sustainable education (20%)
C. Participating in Confluence led leadership development activities which include: Leadership Development Program, Change Agent Project, team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities (20%).
• Contact Property Managers at multifamily properties. Make initial evaluation of existing recycling program at each property and develop recommendations.
• Coordinate with property managers and franchised haulers on implementing recycling collection program recommendations.
• Provide direct public information to City of Gresham residents through presentations, door-to-door outreach and tabling events.
• Build and continue relationships with program partners such as property managers and community based organization.
• Identify and communicate materials, information and resource needs required to perform duties as outlined.
• Prepare and distribute education materials in multiple languages.
• Manage inventory related to outreach and assistance including, but not limited to, brochures, bags and signs.
• Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers for waste reduction activities and events. (including non-English speakers)
• Collect and enter data related to outreach and education projects in Word, Excel, Salesforce or hard copy forms.
• Complete trainings in recycling and environmental conservation.
• Complete and submit all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner; abide by program policies; attend and complete all training and service requirements.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Increased Recycling and composting
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
$100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understanding and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment