This position is a partnership between Confluence Environmental Center, AmeriCorps Program and Camp ELSO. Camp ELSO was created in 2015 to provide a culturally specific science summer camp that invites youth of color to Experience Life Science Outdoors (ELSO). The mission of Camp ELSO is to empower youth of color to explore the possibilities of careers in science fields by exposing them to unique outdoor learning opportunities while nurturing a love for the outdoors.
The Program and Outreach Coordinator will support the build out of the Adventurers program; a culturally responsive summer camp for elementary age children, that offers hands-on, science-based programming. The Member will seek out year-round engagement opportunities to expand the summer Adventurers cohort in the summer of 2019. Duties will include: field trip planning, researching new sites, outreach to new partners, marketing, and registering families for ongoing engagement opportunities. (40%)
The Member will also conduct outreach and engagement with the Learning and Heritage Garden (pilot program in its first year). The Member will focus their efforts in the Rosa Parks school community and the community and families in the neighborhood around the L & H garden, to engage in the development of the garden. Duties will include: garden maintenance, recruiting and training volunteers, soliciting donations, relationship building, leading winter work parties and conducting evaluations to seek ways to better engage the community (40%).
The Member will participate in Confluence led leadership development activities which include: Leadership Development Program, team meetings, National Service events and other self-directed development opportunities (20%).
• Serve as role model and mentor for campers and camp staff.
• Ensure health and safety of participants (including emotional and physical well-being).
• Design and implement curriculum and programming for elementary and middle school age children
• Enforce rules and behavioral expectations as needed.
• Plan, implement and manage daily camp preparation, logistics, snacks and paperwork intake.
• Recruit, and assist in training of camp counselors and implementing hands on activities
• Report all accidents, problems, and successes to Executive Director (maintain and complete a daily log)
• Implement post-program surveying and evaluation
• Soliciting donations/materials for kids garden
• Create new and foster current relationships with teachers, administrators, parent organizations and other community stakeholders.
• Recruit, train and lead volunteer garden work parties (grape/kiwi pruning, pathway maintenance, soil improvement)
• Collaborate with the Orchard Advocate to bring Camp ELSO and Rosa Parks students and families to the Orchard at Seeds of Harmony
• Recruit volunteers and community members to share their cultural and traditional foods via cooking experiences at gazebo in garden, at Rosa Parks, or in the corner store
• Host community partner presentation for prospective families to recruit new students
• Complete and submit all necessary paperwork and reports in a timely manner; abide by program policies; attend and complete all training and service requirements.
Community Need Addressed
Advancing Environmental Justice
Garden/Farm Based Education
Childcare assistance if eligible, Education award upon successful completion of service, Health coverage, Living allowance, Student loan forbearance, Training
$100 Training Fund
Skills you will gain
Develop increased understanding and sensitivity around issues of equity and environmental justice.
Competencies You Will Develop
Demonstrate sensitivity and empathy, Lead group discussion, Listen to and consider others' viewpoints, Maintain open lines of communication with others, Speak clearly, in precise language and in a logical, organized and coherent manner, Write cleary and effectively
Creativity & Problem Solving
Able to identify and define the problem, Capable of generating possible solutions, Communicate the problem to appropriate personnel, Improvise, Provide relevant expertise, Select and implement well-considered solution
Derive consensus, Develop constructive working relationships and maintain them over time, Establish a high degree of trust and credibility with others, Interact professionally and respectfully with supervisors and co-workers, Stay positive and outcome oriented, Use appropriate strategies and solutions for dealing with conflicts and differences to maintain a smooth workflow
Accepts responsibility, Anticipate the consequences of decisions, Identify and prioritize the key issues involved to facilitate the decision making process, Involve people appropriately in decisions that may impact them, Quickly respond with a back-up plan if a decision goes amiss
Carefully consider which tools or technological solutions are appropriate for a given job, Consistently choose the best tool or technological solution for the problem at hand, Operate tools and equipment in accordance with established operating procedures, safety standards, and ethical guidelines, Seek opportunities to improve knowledge of tools and technologies that may assist in streamlining work and improving productivity
Able to prioritize various competing tasks, Create environment of contribution, Create plan of action, schedule tasks so that work is completed on time, Demonstrate the effective allocation of time and resources efficiently, Drive decision making, Effectively delegate tasks, Facilitate group planning, Set goals
Be pleasant, courteous, professional and respectful when dealing with internal and external customers or clients, Evaluate customer or client satisfaction, Honor the privilege of being able to work with and for those being served, Provide personalized, prompt, and efficient service to meet the requirements, requests and needs of customers, Recognize the importance of maintaining privacy and confidentiality of those being served, Understand and anticipate the needs of others, Understand the importance of one's role in the functioning of the organization, Understand the significance of maintaining a healthful and safe environment